VW Premier Performer: Ongaro Tops the Crop with Week 15 Brace
August 13, 2019 - Canadian Premier League (CPL) News Release
*** Part 1.1 - UTF-8
VW Premier Performer: Ongaro tops the crop with Week 15 brace
Each week of the Fall season, CanPL.ca will highlight the top five Volkswagen Premier Performers of the Week, while updating the overall standings as players from across the league compete to top the table and win a new Volkswagen Jetta GLI.
Here are the 5 VW Premier Performers of the Week:
1) Easton Ongaro (FC Edmonton) - 96.70
FC Edmonton's red hot striker is the talk of the CPL after Saturday's match against Pacific FC; two goals, six shots on target, an assist and several key in-the-box passes that could have led to more goals for the Eddies. Ongaro, who made the top five last week, is on quite some run of form.
2) Marco Carducci (Cavalry FC) - 83.78 pts
Overall VW Premier Performer leader improved his advantage at the top with a two-save clean sheet away to HFX Wanderers. He's keeping quite the pace...
3) Ryan Telfer (York9 FC) - 83.52 pts
York9's attacking force had a scary good game along the wing; six completed crosses three key passes and two shots on target. He was also winning the ball quite often, posting a team-high 17 duels, winning 70% of them, with five fouls won.
4) Mathias Janssens (Valour FC) - 82.72 pts
Valour FC's no. 2 goalkeeper stepped up at York Lions Stadium with a double-save penalty on Rodrigo Gattas, keeping York9 off the score-sheet. That was two of an outstanding eight saves on the day.
5) Oumar Diouck (FC Edmonton) - 80.89 pts
Diouck continued to find the back of the net in Week 15, adjusting to his new role in a wider attacking position with little fuss as his hot scoring form continued onward against Pacific FC.
Top 5 Overall
RANK PLAYER CLUB POINTS (Avg./match)
1 Marco Carducci Cavalry FC 81.11
2 Nathan Ingham York9 FC 78.79
3 Michael Petrasso Valour FC 76.33
4 Ryan Telfer York9 FC 75.87
5 Connor James FC Edmonton 75.61
ANALYSIS: While the top two remain in place, we have a newcomer at third! Valour's Michael Petrasso makes the top five after passing the required 500-minute mid-season threshold, essentially taking Emery Welshman's place. Doesn't hurt he scored on the weekend, either. Also of note, Connor James has dropped out of his third-place spot, falling from a77-point average to be alongside Ryan Telfer.
• Discuss this story on the Canadian Premier League message board...
Canadian Premier League Stories from August 13, 2019
- VW Premier Performer: Ongaro Tops the Crop with Week 15 Brace - CPL
- 'It's Like Rocky IV': Cavalry Ready for 'Stay in the Fight' against Impact - Cavalry FC
- Report: Impact's Piatti out for CanChamp 2nd Leg in Calgary - Cavalry FC
- HFX Wanderers FC Announce Signing of Canadian Defender Duran Lee - HFX Wanderers FC
- Cavs' U SPORTS Pick Gabriel Bitar Returns to Carleton - Cavalry FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.