Hawks Win Ninth Straight With 5-2 Victory In Everett
Portland, Ore. - Five different skaters lit the lamp as the Winterhawks (17-1-1-1) picked up their ninth consecutive victory with a 5-2 win over the Everett Silvertips (12-8-1-0) on Wednesday.
Dante Giannuzzi stopped 24 of 26 shots for his sixth straight win. Portland also has points in 12 straight contests (10-0-1-1).
Winterhawks forwards Cole Cairns and Hudson Darby each made their WHL debuts in the contest.
Everett got on the board first with a milestone moment as Tarin Smith grabbed his first WHL tally in spectacular fashion at 9:58 of the opening frame, but the Hawks tied things up before intermission on Marek Alscher's fifth of the year. A Dawson Pasternak pass found Gabe Klassen streaking through the center lane for a quick shot that evaded Braden Holt but stayed out of the net, only for Alscher to poke it home with four minutes to play in the first.
Portland poured it on in the second period, finally taking its first lead of the night on Josh Mori's first of the season at 14:16. Some slick stickhandling by Marcus Nguyen and a deft pass through traffic found Mori on the right wing for a one-time laser over the shoulder of Holt. Just over two minutes later, Dawson Pasternak doubled the lead with a power-play blast from the left circle off a seam pass from Josh Zakreski and Carter Sotheran's second of two assists on the night.
Opening the third with a bang, Aidan Litke quickly made it 4-1 Hawks as he chipped home a rebound from James Stefan's shot off the rush just 48 seconds into the final frame. Everett responded three minutes later with a Jesse Heslop strike, but an empty-netter from Zakreski sealed two points and a 5-2 win for the Winterhawks.
The Winterhawks are off for Thanksgiving tomorrow but right back in action against the Seattle Thunderbirds at 7:00 P.M. on Friday from the accesso ShoWare Center. The game will be broadcast on Portland's CW.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from November 23, 2022
- Americans Struggle to Find Net in 6-1 Loss to Kamloops - Tri-City Americans
- T-Birds Gobble Up Rockets - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Rockets Stopped by Thunderbirds - Kelowna Rockets
- Giants Snag 2 Points in Spokane - Vancouver Giants
- Chiefs Drop First of Four Match-Ups Against Vancouver, 6-4 - Spokane Chiefs
- Warriors Drop Road Trip Opener in Prince George Wednesday - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Hawks' Win Streak Hits Nine with 5-2 Win in Everett - Portland Winterhawks
- Winterhawks Best Silvertips 5-2 in Everett - Everett Silvertips
- Hawks Win Ninth Straight With 5-2 Victory In Everett - Portland Winterhawks
- Tigers Back In Win Column With 6-1 Triumph Over Oil Kings - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Oil Kings Downed in Medicine Hat - Edmonton Oil Kings
- ICE Slip Past Lethbridge - Winnipeg Ice
- Game Day Hub: November 23 at Everett - Portland Winterhawks
- Game Preview: Prince George Cougars vs. Moose Jaw Warriors (Game #22) - Prince George Cougars
- Winterhawks Call up Forwards Cole Cairns and Hudson Darby - Portland Winterhawks
- Chiefs Host Vancouver Giants Wednesday in First of Four Match-Ups this Season - Spokane Chiefs
- Americans Open Seven-Game Home Stretch against Blazers - Tri-City Americans
- Rebels Acquire Defenceman Schneider from Saskatoon - Red Deer Rebels
- Game Day Preview November 23 vs Edmonton - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Game #23 - ICE vs Lethbridge Hurricanes, 7:00 at the ICE Cave Inside Wayne Fleming Arena - Winnipeg Ice
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.