Harper Homer Hands Catfish 11-9 Win in Extras
Columbus, GA - The offensive showcase ended with one swing of the bat as C Tony Harper hit a two-run walk-off home run in the bottom of the tenth inning to give the Columbus Catfish (9-8) an 11-9 win over the Rome Braves (7-9) Saturday at Golden Park. The Braves had 13 hits and three home runs but the Catfish used nine hits and eight walks to get the win.
The Catfish jumped out to an early lead with three runs in the first inning. 1B Jason Mooneyham drove in the first run with a sacrifice fly. 2B Travis Denker followed with a two-run single.
Rome scored individual runs in the second and third innings but Columbus scored another run in the third. 3B Russ Mitchell drove in SS Ivan DeJesus with a single to left field. The Braves took a 7-4 lead with three runs in the fourth inning and two in the fifth.
In the fifth inning RF Sergio Pedroza hit a solo home run to left field, his 20th of the season. The Catfish scored four runs in the sixth inning to take a 9-7 lead. CF Bridger Hunt plated one run with a single. Pedroza later raced home on a wild pitch. Pedroza tallied two more runs with a single to center field.
The Braves tied the game at 9-9 with two runs in the seventh inning and the game moved into extra innings. Denker led off the tenth inning with a single and DH David Sutherland moved him to second base with a sacrifice bunt. Harper then launched the game-winner to right field and he was mobbed at home plate in celebration.
After arriving to Golden Park less than an hour before the game, newly acquired RHP Joey Norrito (1-0) pitched a perfect tenth inning and earned the win. LHP Adam Stanley was tagged with the loss, though he allowed only two runs on the home run in 3 1/3 innings of work.
Pedroza finished 2-for-4 with a home run, three RBI and two runs. He leads the league with 20 home runs and 73 RBI. He has homered in three of the last four games.
Harper went 3-for-5 with a home run, two RBI and one run. It was his fourth homer of the season.
Game two of the three-game set will begin at 6:00pm Sunday. RHP Mario Alvarez (5-6, 5.62) will take on RHP Asher Demme (3-4, 4.18). For tickets or more information call (706) 571-8866 or visit www.ColumbusCatfish.com.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from July 8, 2006
- Harper Homer Hands Catfish 11-9 Win in Extras - Columbus Catfish
- Drive Drop Series Opener To Intimidators, 6-4 - Greenville Drive
- Captains defeat Shorebirds - Lake County Captains
- BlueClaws hold on to beat the Suns 3-2 - Hagerstown Suns
- Charleston Outclasses Savannah, 6-1 - Charleston RiverDogs
- Hoppers beat Crawdads 4-2f or 3rd straight win - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- Garrison fans eight in loss to Lexington - West Virginia Power
- First-Place BlueClaws back home Tuesday - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Roster Moves Get Catfish Back to 25 - Columbus Catfish
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.