Hammerheads Tie Season-High with 12 Runs in Win
JUPITER, Fla. - For a team that has struggled to score runs as much as the Jupiter Hammerheads have this season, Thursday night's game at Roger Dean Stadium was a welcomed surprise.
Andy Haines' squad tied a season-high with 12 runs in their beat-down of St. Lucie, pounding- out 14 hits against four different Mets pitchers.
The Hammerheads jumped on starter Alex Panteliodis in the first inning, plating a run on an Alfredo Lopez double. They hung a three-spot in the third on a Lopez sacrifice fly and run- scoring singles by Ryan Fisher and Ross Wilson.
Wilfredo Gimenez's bases-clearing double off the top of the wall in left field in Jupiter's four- run fifth inning sent Panteliodis to the showers. The St. Lucie left-hander was charged with eight runs (five earned) on 10 hits and two walks in 4.2 innings.
RHP Bret Mitchell silenced the Hammerheads offense through the seventh, but Jupiter added four runs to their lead against RHP Ty Williams in the bottom of the eighth.
A walk and two singles to leadoff the inning set the stage for Sharif Othman - who homered on Tuesday and Wednesday. Batting left-handed, the switch-hitter crushed a two-run double to deep right field. Wilson then singled home Fisher before Ryan Rieger's RBI groundout to score Sharif capped Jupiter's 12-run offensive explosion.
The Hammerheads' previous 12-run outburst came on June 2 in the first game of a seven-inning double-header at Bradenton. Jupiter's five doubles Thursday night also tied a season-high, last accomplished Aug. 10 against Ft. Myers.
Six different players in the Hammerheads lineup recorded multi-hit games, including Fisher (three hits), plus Noah Perio, Lopez, Othman, Wilson and Gimenez, who came up with two hits each.
RHP Angel Sanchez tossed five innings of two-run ball for Jupiter, allowing five hits and a pair of walks. He struck out four and threw 56 of 91 pitches (62 percent) for strikes.
The Hammerheads will look to continue their offensive resurgence on Friday night against St.
Lucie - their last home game of the season. RHP Josh Hodges (4-5, 3.72 ERA) will take the mound for Jupiter. The Mets will counter with RHP Rainy Lara (4-5, 3.76 ERA). First pitch is scheduled for 6:35 p.m. at Roger Dean Stadium.
For more information on the Jupiter Hammerheads, Class A-Advanced affiliate of the Miami Marlins, please call (561) 775-1818 or visit JupiterHammerheads.com. For tickets and more information about Roger Dean Stadium, visit RogerDeanStadium.com.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from August 29, 2013
- Manatees Edged 3-2 by Cubs - Brevard County Manatees
- Hammerheads Tie Season-High with 12 Runs in Win - Jupiter Hammerheads
- Miracle, Marauders Split Thursday Twin Bill - Fort Myers Miracle
- Altherr Named FSL Player of the Week - Clearwater Threshers
- Sports Turf Awards 2013 Announced - FSL
- Walk-Off Bunt Lifts Jupiter to Extra-Innings Win - Jupiter Hammerheads
- Threshers Blanked in Doubleheader at Tampa - Clearwater Threshers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Jupiter Hammerheads Stories
- Hammerheads Close out Season Early with Loss to Tampa
- Remainder of Florida State League Season Cancelled After Tonight's Game
- Jupiter Takes One in Doubleheader vs. Tampa
- August 27th Game against Tampa Postponed, Will be Made up as Doubleheader
- Close Loss Opens Final Jupiter Home Series