Hammerheads Receive Stuver on Loan from Crew
Wilmington, NC - Wilmington Hammerheads FC is pleased to announce a loan agreement with Major League Soccer's Columbus Crew that sends Crew goalkeeper Brad Stuver to Wilmington for the remainder of the 2014 USL PRO season. Per Major League Soccer, USL PRO and club policy, further terms of the loan were not disclosed.
"We are really excited to have Brad in Wilmington. I saw him as a college player and have tracked his progress and feel confident he will be a very important addition to our team as we make our push towards the end of the season," said Hammerheads Technical Director Carson Porter. "Beyond his soccer talents, trusted colleagues speak very highly of his character and professionalism, things that are equally important to our organization."
Brad joins the Hammerheads in an important time and will be relied upon right away, along with veteran Matt Glaeser, to take on the goalkeeper duties for the club. Quillan Roberts, who joined the Hammerheads this season by way of a loan agreement with MLS partner Toronto FC, has been recalled by Toronto for the remainder of the season. The recall of Roberts to Toronto is in response to the departure of goalkeeper Julio Ceasar from Toronto FC. Ceasar, a Brazilian who played every minute of this summer's World Cup campaign for his home country, re-joined English Premier League Club Queens Park Rangers, who had loaned him to Toronto in the run up to the World Cup.
Stuver was selected 23rd overall by Montreal and was the first goalkeeper taken in the 2013 MLS SuperDraft. He spent the 2013 season as an MLS pool goalkeeper, making appearances for the Crew, New England Revolution, Real Salt Lake and Chivas USA.
"This is a good opportunity for Brad to gain valuable minutes and match experience to continue on his developmental path," said Columbus Crew Sporting Director and Head Coach Gregg Berhalter.
"We want to become a trusted place where players can come and improve and leave better than when they arrive. Having a player like Brad is a positive move for us that strengthens our team and allows our fans to see a goalkeeper with a bright future," said Porter. "Our goal is to give him the environment and the challenges he needs to improve, while he also helps in our end of the season push."
For further information regarding Wilmington Hammerheads FC, call (910) 777-2111 or visit www.wilmingtonhammerheads.com.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 8, 2014
- Riverhounds Defeat OC Blues FC 1-0 at Highmark Stadium - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Dayton Draws Battery 2-2 on Late Goal - Charleston Battery
- Blues Welcome New Players to Orange County - Orange County SC
- OKC Energy FC Faces Sacramento Saturday Night - OKC Energy FC
- Dayton Dutch Lions FC Welcomes the Cincinnati Bengals at DOC Stadium - Dayton Dutch Lions
- Hammerheads Receive Stuver on Loan from Crew - Wilmington Hammerheads FC
- Match Preview- Orlando Aims to Extend Lead at the Top of the Table - Orlando City SC
- Match Preview: Sacramento Republic FC V Oklahoma City Energy FC - Sacramento Republic FC
- West Coast Clash Highlights Weekend's Action - USL
- Hammerheads Host Dayton for Pink Out - Wilmington Hammerheads FC
- Dayton Dutch Lions FC Play Back to Back Games in Charleston and Wilmington - Dayton Dutch Lions
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.