Dayton Draws Battery 2-2 on Late Goal
CHARLESTON, SC- Dane Kelly and Adam Mena each scored first-half goals, but the Charleston Battery was unable to hold on and played to a 2-2 draw against the Dayton Dutch Lions on Friday night at Blackbaud Stadium in front of 3,081.
"We had the lead and the three points in hand, but we have to close it out," said Battery head coach Mike Anhaeuser. "Unfortunately, we had a little breakdown in the back and they put it in. We need to keep our focus now. We have six more points to get at home (in this home stand)."
The Battery jumped out to an early lead in the 5th minute. Forward Dane Kelly found himself with just the keeper to beat after midfielder Jarad van Schaik collected a turnover and quickly passed to Kelly in the middle of the field. Kelly took a few dribbles and calmly slotted the ball home from just inside the box.
Dayton responded quickly on a corner in the 10th minute. After Battery defender John Wilson made a tackle to force a corner, Dayton forward Cameron Vickers collected an assist when his corner found the head of defender Brock Granger, whose finish found the top right corner of the goal.
After some back and forth play, Charleston was able to add another goal in the 23rd minute. Battery midfielder Justin Portillo collected a pass from midfielder Maikel Chang at the top of the Dayton box and used some nifty footwork to pass by multiple Dayton defenders. After finding himself inside of the six-yard box, Portillo passed across the goal mouth and found a streaking Adam Mena. Using his right foot, Mena poked the ball past Dayton keeper Matt Williams to make the score 2-1.
Neither team was able to do much early in the second half but as the game started winding down, the Battery defense began to sit back and Dayton was able to tie the game in the 85th minute. After a defensive miscue put the ball at his feet, midfielder David Clemens scored his first professional goal with a shot from the edge of the box between the legs of Charleston keeper Odisnel Cooper.
Charleston pushed forward in the final minutes but desperate attempts from Dante Marini and Heviel Cordoves were defended well and the 2-2 score held until the final whistle.
Charleston will remain at home for its next two matches, facing off against the Orange County Blues on Wednesday, August 13 at Blackbaud Stadium in Charleston, South Carolina at 7:30 p.m., followed by a Friday match against Rochester.
Tickets for Battery home games are available starting at $10, to purchase tickets or for more information please call 843-971-GOAL (4625) or visit www.charlestonbattery.com.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 8, 2014
- Riverhounds Defeat OC Blues FC 1-0 at Highmark Stadium - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Dayton Draws Battery 2-2 on Late Goal - Charleston Battery
- Blues Welcome New Players to Orange County - Orange County SC
- OKC Energy FC Faces Sacramento Saturday Night - OKC Energy FC
- Dayton Dutch Lions FC Welcomes the Cincinnati Bengals at DOC Stadium - Dayton Dutch Lions
- Hammerheads Receive Stuver on Loan from Crew - Wilmington Hammerheads FC
- Match Preview- Orlando Aims to Extend Lead at the Top of the Table - Orlando City SC
- Match Preview: Sacramento Republic FC V Oklahoma City Energy FC - Sacramento Republic FC
- West Coast Clash Highlights Weekend's Action - USL
- Hammerheads Host Dayton for Pink Out - Wilmington Hammerheads FC
- Dayton Dutch Lions FC Play Back to Back Games in Charleston and Wilmington - Dayton Dutch Lions
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charleston Battery Stories
- Time Change: Charleston Battery V Bethlehem Steel FC
- Battery Strengthen Playoff Hopes, Eliminates Memphis in 2-0 Win
- Charleston Stalls in Playoff Race with 2-1 Loss to Loudoun
- Battery Hold Birmingham to Scoreless Draw
- Paterson's Last Second Goal Earns Battery a Vital Point in Playoff Race