Hammerheads Perfect on this Night
JUPITER, FL-If the Jupiter Hammerheads play the way they did on Tuesday night they will be a tough team to beat all season. Jupiter excelled in all facets of the game, scoring 11 runs on 17 hits while limiting St. Lucie to just four base knocks in a 11-0 victory over the Mets at Roger Dean Stadium.
The heart of the Hammerheads order helped fuel the offensive attack. Terrence Dayleg had four hits from the two hole while the three and four batters, Austin Barnes and Viosergy Rosa, each had three hits and drove in two runs. Barnes blasted the Hammerheads' first home run of the season, a two run shot in the seventh inning.
Every member of the Jupiter lineup, with the exception of Cameron Flynn, had a hit in the ballgame. Matt Juengel and Noah Perio each contributed a pair of hits and drove in two runs apiece.
The pitching was superb as well. Austin Brice started his first game of the year and the righty picked up the win after holding the Mets to three hits in five innings. He struck out seven and walked two in the outing.
Brice was relieved by Chipper Smith who was impressive for the second time this season out of the bullpen. Smith tossed three perfect innings with a pair of punch outs. Frankie Reed preserved the shutout in the ninth.
The Hammerheads got the scoring started early in the first when Dayleg, Barnes and Rosa hit back-to-back-to-back singles to make it 1-0.
Jupiter would add a run in the second when Angel Morales scored on a sac fly by Ross Wilson.
The home team would begin to break the game open in the seventh when Perio drove home Wilson with a double. Two batters later Barnes pulled the first pitch he saw over the fence in left for a two run shot.
In the eighth inning Jupiter put the game away scoring six times off of Julian Hilario.
The Hammerheads will take on the Mets in the second game of the three game series with St. Lucie on Wednesday. First pitch at Roger Dean Stadium is scheduled for 6:35 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from April 8, 2014
- Johnson Untouchable as 'Tees Blank Lakeland - Brevard County Manatees
- Threshers Come up Short in Series Opener - Clearwater Threshers
- Hammerheads Perfect on this Night - Jupiter Hammerheads
- Daytona vs. Dunedin Postponed to Wednesday Doubleheader - Daytona Tortugas
- Late Rally Falls Short - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Bounce Back Night for Bradenton - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Walking the Plank - Charlotte Stone Crabs
- Tuesday's Game with Charlotte Is Postponed - Fort Myers Miracle
- 9th Annual Special Needs Camp Is Saturday, April 26 - Fort Myers Miracle
- Brevard Edges Daytona, 5-4 - Brevard County Manatees
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Jupiter Hammerheads Stories
- Hammerheads Close out Season Early with Loss to Tampa
- Remainder of Florida State League Season Cancelled After Tonight's Game
- Jupiter Takes One in Doubleheader vs. Tampa
- August 27th Game against Tampa Postponed, Will be Made up as Doubleheader
- Close Loss Opens Final Jupiter Home Series