Gwinnett 13, Norfolk 3
The Gwinnett Braves jumped out to a big lead early and cruised to a 13-3 win over the Tides Thursday night at Harbor Park.
Gwinnett plated each of their 13 runs with two outs as they salvaged a split of the four-game set. The Braves got on the board with a two-out, three-run homer by Sean Kazmar in the third frame, then broke open the contest with four unearned runs off of Jayson Aquino (3-10) in the fourth inning.
Aquino, who had allowed three runs or fewer in eight of his last 10 outings while posting a 3.22 ERA over that span, yielded eight runs - four earned - on 10 hits over 4.2 innings of work. He walked one and struck out four while throwing 56 of his 88 pitches for strikes.
The Braves added five runs in the ninth inning off of Vidal Nuño and Tides first baseman David Washington.
Luis Sardiñas had two hits and an RBI to help pace Norfolk's 11-hit attack as he recorded his 18th multi-hit game since the All-Star break. Over that 46-game span, the 24-year-old infielder has hit .362 (59-163), 3rd-best in the International League.
Drew Dosch hit an RBI double in his only at-bat of the game, extending his league-leading total to 35 doubles this season. The double moved him into sole possession of fifth place on the single-season doubles list in Tides franchise history, seven shy of the franchise mark of 42 doubles registered by Oscar Salazar in 2008.
Ruben Tejada added three singles in the setback, while Pedro Álvarez singled, doubled and scored a run.
With the setback, the Tides wrapped up their 2017 home campaign with a 34-37 record. Norfolk will open its 2018 season on Friday, April 6th with a 7:05 contest vs. Gwinnett at Harbor Park.
The Tides will conclude their 2017 season with a four-game set in Charlotte, beginning Friday night at 7:05. RHP Mike Wright (3-6, 4.03) will make the start for Norfolk and be opposed by RHP Michael Kopech (1-0, 2.70). Notes: J.J. Hardy went 0-for-2 with a walk and run scored, giving him a .227 average (5-22) with a home run, three RBI and nine walks in nine rehab contests with the Tides...Andrew Faulkner struck out the side in a scoreless inning of relief, giving him a 0.95 ERA (2 ER, 19.0 IP) in 17 games since July 1st... Matt Wotherspoon struck out three over 2.1 shutout innings of relief, giving him five straight scoreless appearances.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from September 1, 2017
- Gwinnett 13, Norfolk 3 - Gwinnett Stripers
- Gwinnett 13, Norfolk 3 - Norfolk Tides
- Indians Use Big First to Win Series at Louisville - Indianapolis Indians
- Red Wings Spoil RailRiders' Home Finale - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Bisons Rally in Eighth Inning, Top PawSox, 4-2 - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Chiefs Fall to IronPigs, 5-1, Friday Night - Syracuse Mets
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Norfolk Tides Stories
- Have Breakfast with Santa at Harbor Park
- Norfolk Tides Win Charles K. Murphy Patriot Award
- Tides to Renovate Churchland Little League Field Tuesday
- Tides to Renovate Thalia/Malibu Rec Association Field Tuesday
- Orioles Announce 2018 Award Winners for Player Development & Scouting