Gunn leads Musicians to shootout win over Druid City
Murfreesboro Musicians Point Guard, Tommy Gunn led the Musicians to a big road win over the Druid City Dragons in a Shootout in Tuscaloosa, AL on Thursday night 139-121.
Gunn scored 23 of his game high 35 points in the first half as the Musicians led at the break 65-56. Druid City used a full-court pressing defense the entire game that kept the game at a fever pitch tempo throughout the contest.
Druid City opened up the second half with a 12-2 run that put them ahead 68-67 and went on to build a 7 point lead with ten minutes remaining in the fourth quarter. Musicians Center, Will Caudle scored on a jump hook with 8:10 to play that put the Musicians up 102-101. Gunn scored to put the Musicians up 104-101 and then the Musicians went on a 24 to 6 run to take total control of the contest down stretch to secure the important road victory for Murfreesboro.
Cedric McGinnis scored 31 points and pulled down 13 rebounds in the game. Will Pippen chipped in 16 points. Caudle followed up with 14 points in limited minutes because of foul trouble. Reserves Nick Clark, Dexter Hall, and Ray Trowell contributed 12, 11, and 10 points respectively off the bench for the Musicians.
"This was just a huge win for us tonight! That we won was big, but the way we won was bigger! We were in bad foul trouble in the third quarter with Caudle, McGinnis, and Pippen on the bench with 4 fouls each and our reserves really stepped up for us tonight. Nick Clark, Dameon Goodman, and Chris Ferguson really played key roles in this win and this was a complete team victory tonight. That is very pleasing to see!" stated Musicians Head Coach Steve Tucker.
The Musicians return home to Musicians Arena to host the Anderson Heat on Friday night in Murfreesboro. Tip-off is scheduled for 7pm.
* The Musicians (9-6) have now won 5 of their last 6 games and 3 in a row. With Thursday night's victory over Druid City and with the Mississippi Hardhats (11-6) losing the Musicians can catch Mississippi over with weekend with victories over Anderson at home and over Marietta on the road on Sunday. Mississippi will face a tough task as they host League leading Rome (13-3) in Hattiesburg, MS on Saturday night.
• Discuss this story on the World Basketball Association message board...
World Basketball Association Stories from June 16, 2006
- Gladiators clinch first round playoff game - Rome Rage
- Tornadoes win again - Memphis Tornadoes
- Gunn leads Musicians to shootout win over Druid City - Murfreesboro Musicians
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Murfreesboro Musicians Stories
- Musicians Win Again
- Gunn leads Musicians to shootout win over Druid City
- Musicians keep the beat over Majic
- Trowell's last-second three lifts Musicians
- Revamped Musicians ready to make a run