Goins Double Not Enough in 6-5 Loss at Richmond
RICHMOND, VA - Ryan Goins hit a go-ahead two-run double with two outs in the 11th inning on Wednesday night, but the Richmond Flying Squirrels (31-34) plated three runs in the bottom of the frame to steal a 6-5 win from the Fisher Cats. It's the sixth straight loss for New Hampshire (22-41), leaving the team 19 games under .500 on the season.
Goins double came with two outs in a 3-3 game in the game's final inning. He laced a two-strike curve ball off the wall in right field, plating Brian Van Kirk and Justin Jackson to put the Fisher Cats on top 5-3.
Fernando Hernandez (L; 0-3) couldn't hold that lead, giving up three runs in the bottom of the inning. Gary Brown singled to tie the game with the bases loaded at 5-5. Juan Ciriaco followed with a soft single to right to drive home the winning run at 6-5.
The 11th-inning comeback was the second of the night for Richmond as the Squirrels overcame an eighth-inning hole by scoring three runs against Aaron Loup. The Fisher Cats were able to force extra innings when Van Kirk scored the tying run on a wild pitch in the ninth.
New Hampshire built its lead through eight innings when Mark Sobolewski (three hits) scored on a wild pitch by the starter Chris Heston (ND). Mike McDade pushed the lead to 2-0 with a long homer to right in the eighth, his team-leading 11th of the season. The slugger finished the night with three hits and his 38th RBI of the season.
Yohan Pino took a no-decision after hurling five shutout innings. Sam Dyson followed with a pair of scoreless frames before Loup lost the lead in the eighth.
The teams now meet for the final time on Thursday night at 6:35 PM. RHP Chad Jenkins (2-6, 6.35) takes the ball against Richmond LHP (4-5, 3.12). Radio coverage of begins at 6:15 PM with Tom Gauthier on the WGIR Fisher Cats Radio Network and www.nhfishercats.com.
The Fisher Cats return home on Tuesday, June 19, to begin a seven-game homestand with the Reading Phillies and Harrisburg Senators. The stand begins with a CCSNH Reading Challenge night. For the full list of promotions and to purchase tickets, visit www.nhfishercats.com.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from June 13, 2012
- 'Wolves Clobber Sens in Game Two - Erie SeaWolves
- Squirrels Win See-Saw Battle, 6-5 - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Goins Double Not Enough in 6-5 Loss at Richmond - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- 'Sox Stymie Sea Dogs in 7-0 Shutout - Portland Sea Dogs
- Baysox Give Sea Dogs Hart Attack - Bowie Baysox
- B-Mets Swept Away by R-Phils, 3-1 & 1-0 - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Thunder Sweep Twin Bill from Altoona, 10-2 and 2-0 - Trenton Thunder
- Aeros Split Twinbill with Rock Cats - Akron RubberDucks
- Curve Thunderstruck in Doubleheader Sweep - Altoona Curve
- Rock Cats Split Doubleheader - New Britain Rock Cats
- 'Wolves Fail to Hold Leads in Game One - Erie SeaWolves
- Fisher Cats and Fisher Cats Foundation Donate More Than $5,000 to Campaign for The Mom's Place - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Sea Dogs Game Notes - Portland Sea Dogs
- Flying Squirrels Game Notes vs. New Hampshire - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Baseballtown Virtual Tour Unveiled - Reading Fightin Phils
- B-Mets Game Notes: vs Reading Phillies (Doubleheader) - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.