"Gluttony Night" set for tomorrow
Reading, PA -- The Reading Phillies are looking for big eaters to attend Gluttony Night when the New Britain Rock Cats (Twins) visit FirstEnergy Stadium on Tuesday, May 19 for a 6:35 PM game.
For just $12.00 fans can eat as much as they want from the time the gates open at 5:30 PM until the 7th Inning Stretch. Hot dogs, French fries, pizza, funnel cake, ice cream and fountain drinks are all included in a Gluttony Night ticket.
A pre-game eating contest is also scheduled and sure to delight the crowd. Competitors will race to devour each of the six concession items available on the Gluttony Night menu. The items must be consumed one at a time, in the order of personal choice to bring a little strategy to the proceedings.
"Who knows if we'll ever be able to do this again," a somewhat nervous Scott Hunsicker, R-Phils General Manager, said. "I'm trying to encourage my family and friends to attend this game. Just in case I get fired over this promotion, I don't want them to miss my last game."
The R-Phils record for hot dogs consumed during a game was 4,275 on Father's Day, June 15, 2008 during a dollar dog promotion. Hunsicker believes that record is in jeopardy on Gluttony Night. "Even with the pizza, fries, funnel cake and ice cream in the mix I still wouldn't bet against the hot dog record falling," he added.
When asked about Gluttony Night, Andy Bortz, Director of Stadium Concessions, offered a series of grunts and groans that we'll take to mean "no comment".
Tickets for Gluttony Night can be purchased at FirstEnergy Stadium, by phone (610-375-8469) and online. Fans that already have a ticket for May 19 can take part in Gluttony Night for an additional $7.00. Children under 4 years old and under are free - INCLUDING THE FREE FOOD WRISTBAND! - unless they need a reserved seat. Then they'd pay $5.00 (Food Wristband still FREE).
As fans enter the ballpark they should present their special ticket to the R-Phils staff at the Gluttony Night Table to get a wristband that grants them access to the Gluttony Night concession stands.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from May 18, 2009
- 'Wolves Edge Harrisburg in 10 - Erie SeaWolves
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Harrisburg Senators...Game One of Three - Erie SeaWolves
- Escalona gets the call, wins ML debut - Reading Fightin Phils
- "Gluttony Night" set for tomorrow - Reading Fightin Phils
- Arrieta Named Pitcher of the Week - Bowie Baysox
- Weglarz Named Player of the Week - Akron RubberDucks
- Eastern League Announces Weekly Award Winners - EL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reading Fightin Phils Stories
- Fightin Phils and 610 AM Sports Announce Radio Partnership
- Fightins will become "Reading Whoopies" for 17th Annual Morning Game on June 4th
- Fightin PhilsPhillies Winter Banquet (Media
- Hoskins, Kapler, Eickhoff, Leiter Jr. to attend Phillies Caravan, Valent named King of Baseballtown
- Greg Legg returns as manager, field staff announced