Giants Advance to Western Conference Final After a 6-1 Win in Victoria
Victoria, B.C. - The Vancouver Giants are off to the WHL's Western Conference final! Thursday night in Victoria the Giants completed a series sweep of the Victoria Royals thanks to a 6-1 victory. Captain Jared Dmytriw led the Giants with a goal and two assists while Bowen Byram, Lukas Svejkovsky, Owen Hardy and Dallas Hines also registered goals. David Tendeck stopped 17 of the 18 shots fired his way in the Giants net. D-Jay Jerome had the lone goal for the Royals while Griffen Outhouse stopped 27 shots for Victoria in his final WHL game.
VAN - Lukas Svejkovsky (3) got the Giants offense started at 10:04 when he deflected a Seth Bafaro point shot past Griffen Outhouse. Davis Koch also assisted on the play.
VAN - Bowen Byram (4) then got in on the act at 16:19 when he ripped a shot under the arm of Griffen Outhouse and home from the right-wing circle. Brayden Watts and Justin Sourdif earned assists on the eventual game-winning goal.
VAN - 18 seconds later Dallas Hines extended the Giants lead to 3-0 when he potted his third goal of the playoffs. Jadon Joseph and Milos Roman drew the assists.
Shots: 15-7 Vancouver
VAN - Owen Hardy (3) extended Vancouver's lead to 4-0 at 9:39 off the rush when he re-directed home a Jared Dmytriw feed from the left-wing. Dawson Holt notched the second assist.
VIC - D-Jay Jerome recorded the lone goal of the game for Victoria at 11:58. His second goal of the series came courtesy of Logan Doust and Jameson Murray.
Shots: 13-7 Vancouver
VAN - Brayden Watts made it 5-0 Vancouver at 8:03 when his shot from the high-slot had just enough zip on it to cross the goal line. Jared Dmytriw recorded the lone assist on the play to notch his second point on the night.
VAN - Jared Dmytriw capped off a terrific series with a goal at 12:47 on a power play. His fourth goal of the playoffs was assisted by both Tristen Nielsen and Lukas Svejkovsky.
Shots: 5-4 Vancouver
Final Score: Vancouver 6 - Victoria 1
Final Shots: 33-18 Vancouver
David Tendeck: 17/18 saves for Vancouver (4-1)
Griffen Outhouse: 27/33 saves for Victoria (4-6)
Vancouver: 1/1 on the Power Play
Victoria: 0/1 on the Power Play
Next Giants Game: Friday, April 19th at 7:30 PM at the LEC. Opponent TBD.
GET TICKETS FOR GAME 1 HERE
GET TICKETS FOR GAME 2 HERE
- The Vancouver Giants have advanced to the Western Conference Finals for the fifth time in their 18-year history. This year's visit will mark the first time since 2010. The Giants are 2-2 over the course of their four previous visits to the Conference final.
- Jared Dmytriw finished Round 2 with three goals and three assists for six points in four games against his former team. He was also a +6 and finished the series with 16 shots on goal.
- Bowen Byram finished Round 2 with a goal and four assists for five points. He sits second in WHL playoff scoring with 13 points. Giants forward Davis Koch continues to lead the playoffs in outright scoring with 14 points (2G, 12A) through 10 games.
- The Giants will either face the Spokane Chiefs or Everett Silvertips in the Western Conference Final. The Spokane Chiefs currently lead the Silvertips 3-0 in that series. Game 4 goes tomorrow night from Spokane, WA.
- Thursday's game marked the final WHL game for Victoria Royals over-agers Ralph Jarratt and Griffen Outhouse. Victoria's third over-ager Kody McDonald did not play due to a suspension.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from April 12, 2019
- Former Rocket Named ECHL's 2018-19 CCM/ECHL Most Valuable Player - Kelowna Rockets
- Oil Kings Announce Dates for Games 3 & 4 of Round 3 - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Game 5 Preview - Saskatoon Blades
- Giants Advance to Western Conference Final After a 6-1 Win in Victoria - Vancouver Giants
- WHL Names Everett Silvertips Back-To-Back Recipient of Western Conference Marketing and Business Award - Everett Silvertips
- Royals Season Ends against Giants in Game 4 - Victoria Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Giants Stories
- Bowen Byram Receives Sherwin-Williams CHL Top Prospect Award
- Giants Acquire 2000-Born Forward Jackson Shepard from Lethbridge
- Ron Toigo to Receive W.A.C. Bennett Award at Bc Sports Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony Tonight
- Giants Fall in Game 7 Overtime, Raiders Capture the Ed Chynoweth Cup
- Giants Force Game 7 with a 4-2 Win Sunday in Prince Albert