Generals Win Thriller Over Komets In Shoot-Out
FLINT, MI - Generals Rookie Matt Moffat was the only shooter to find the back of the net, and goaltender Sergei Zvyagin stopped all 3 shots he faced as the Flint Generals defeated the Fort Wayne Komets 5-4 at Perani Arena in front of 2,410 fans Sunday afternoon.
Zvyagin, the games first star, faced 51 shots through the 65 minutes of regulation and overtime and shut the door when it counted most, allowing the Generals to stay in the hunt for a playoff position.
The Generals got off to a fast start, with newcomer Mike Olynyk scoring his first goal as a General, and 4th of the season at the 2:54 mark. Flint made it 2-0 at the 10:08 mark when Bryan Smolinski notched is 16th goal of the year and then the blue & gold opened up a 3-0 lead when Tyler Howells scored short-handed at the 16:39 mark. Shots on goal in the first period were 10 apiece. The Komets battled back hard in the 2nd, peppering Zvyagin with 20 shots, but only one found the back of the cage when Matt Syrocynski scored his 23rd of the season on the power-play at the 15:30 mark. Dan Lapointe restored the Generals 3 goal lead when he scored less than 2 minutes later at the 16:56 mark.
All the scoring in the 3rd period came from the Komets when David Hukalo, Guy Dupuis and Sean O'Connor scored in a 7:27 second span early in the 3rd to deadlock the game at four. Both teams traded chances in the second half of the period, but it wasn't until the shoot-out when the game was decided.
With the win, the Generals kept pace with the Bloomington PrairieThunder who defeated Port Huron 4-3. The Generals and PrairieThunder face off this coming Wednesday at Perani Arena at 7:30pm. The PrairieThunder currently lead the Generals by 7 points for the fourth and final playoff spot, but the Generals have a game in hand, and Wednesday will be the first of three meetings between the two teams before the end of the season.
Tickets for all Generals home games for the 2009-10 season are on sale at the Perani Arena Ticket Office or online through Ticketmaster. The Generals are offering a special on group tickets of just $5 a seat for groups of ten (10) or more call the Generals office at (810) 744-0222 for more information or to order your tickets.
• Discuss this story on the International Hockey League 2 message board...
International Hockey League 2 Stories from March 28, 2010
- Generals Win Thriller Over Komets In Shoot-Out - Flint Generals
- Lipsett, White Lead Mallards Past Dayton 4-2 - Quad City Mallards
- Dayton Gems Fall To The Quad City Mallards 4 - 2 - Dayton Gems
- Lumberjacks Latest Win Streak Sprouts To Four - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Lumberjacks Weekly Notes - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Robin Bouchard and Augusta Riverhawks GM Part of This Week's Puska on Pucks - OSC Original by Denis Puska
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Flint Generals Stories
- Generals Zvyagin on Shelf, Alban Signed as Emergency Backup
- Generals and Komets Prepare for Game 4 on Friday
- Generals Win Thriller in OT to Take Game 3
- Generals Prepared For Game 3 Of Turner Cup Finals At Home Tonight At 7pm
- Generals Defeat Muskegon In Game 7; Will Face Fort Wayne In Turner Cup Finals