Generals Weekly Notes
-The Generals kicked off their 2009-10 campaign on Friday, Oct. 16th with a big 3-1 victory against the Muskegon Lumberjacks. This marks the 40th year of professional hockey in Flint. The Flint Generals of IHL (1969-1985), the Flint Spirits of IHL (1985-1990), Flint Bulldogs of Colonial Hockey League (1991-1993), Flint Generals of Colonial Hockey League (1993-97) of the UHL (1997-07) and again of the IHL (2007-present).
- Muskegon was also celebrating this past weekend, and shall be all through the season as the area marks 50 years of professional hockey. The Jacks marked the occasion at their home opener by inviting 25 of their legends and all-time greats from the last four decades of professional hockey in Muskegon.
-Generals goaltender Jean-Francois Labbe is just two (2) games away from playing in his 900th career regular season game, number 898 came Friday, Oct. 17th in the Generals season opener.
- Entering this season, Pascal Rheaume is just 20 goals away from reaching career number 600
- Last season the Generals went 6-10-0-0 against the Lumberjacks last season and are 155-100- 2 all-time vs. Muskegon.
- Flint will play in their first road game of the season Friday Oct. 23rdwhen they head to Port Huron to take on the IceHawks. The two teams saw each other twice in exhibition play but this will be the first regular season matchup. The two preseason games were rather different, the first went to a shootout with the IceHawks being the victors, but the following night the Generals peppered the Port Huron goalies, finding the back of the net 6 times.
-The Generals head back home Sat. Oct. 24th for the second game of a home-and-home series with the IceHawks. Last season the Generals went 6-9-1-1 against the Hawks. With the teams so close, there has been a natural rivalry over the years, which is sure to be rekindled Friday.
-Through two games defenseman Jake Pence is proving to be an asset to the Generals defense. He has an assist, has stayed out of the box and is a +2.
• Discuss this story on the International Hockey League 2 message board...
International Hockey League 2 Stories from October 19, 2009
- IHL Kicks Off Opening Weekend - IHL 2
- IHL Announces Weekly Honors - IHL 2
- Kinnie Named IHL Forward Of The Week - Port Huron Icehawks
- Mallards' Laplante Named IHL Goaltender Of The Week - Quad City Mallards
- Generals Weekly Recap - Flint Generals
- Generals Weekly Notes - Flint Generals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Flint Generals Stories
- Generals Zvyagin on Shelf, Alban Signed as Emergency Backup
- Generals and Komets Prepare for Game 4 on Friday
- Generals Win Thriller in OT to Take Game 3
- Generals Prepared For Game 3 Of Turner Cup Finals At Home Tonight At 7pm
- Generals Defeat Muskegon In Game 7; Will Face Fort Wayne In Turner Cup Finals