Generals To Be Visited In Opener By New IHL Commissioner
FLINT, MI - The Flint Generals are kicking their season off with a visit from IHL Commissioner Dennis Hextall. The Commissioner will drop the puck in tonight's season opener between the Generals and the Muskegon Lumberjacks.
The 2009-2010 season marks the first season Hextall serves as the President/Commissioner of the International Hockey League.
Hextall played two years of collegiate hockey for the University of North Dakota before making the jump into professional hockey. During his professional career, Hextall played 681 games in the NHL, playing for the New York Rangers, Los Angeles Kings, California Golden Seals, Minnesota North Stars, Detroit Red Wings and the Washington Capitals. Hextall served as Captain with Minnesota and Detroit, while with the Capitals, he served as a player/coach. He was a two-time NHL All-Star game participant, playing in the 1974 and 1975 games. He hung up the skates after the 1979-80 season, retiring after playing 13 years in the NHL.
Hextall, who played in Detroit in the late '70s, is currently the President and Executive Director of the Detroit Red Wings Alumni Association, which helps raise money for charities and organizations encouraging interest in amateur hockey and athletics, as well as assisting those in need. The Detroit Red Wings Alumni Association is the oldest and most successful NHL alumni organization in the history of the NHL.
Flint begins the season tonight at Perani Arena & Event Center against the Lumberjacks, with the puck scheduled to drop at 7:30. The Generals will host the Quad City Mallards tomorrow night at 7:30pm.
Tickets for all 38 regular season home games including tonight are available now at the Perani Arena Ticket Office or through Ticketmaster at ticketmaster.com.
• Discuss this story on the International Hockey League 2 message board...
International Hockey League 2 Stories from October 16, 2009
- Mallards Place Tremblay On Inactive List, Maier Returns - Quad City Mallards
- Generals Take Season Opener With Win Over Lumberjacks - Flint Generals
- Mallards Join Forces with Hardee's - Quad City Mallards
- Patrosso Returns To Port Huron Icehawks - Port Huron Icehawks
- PrairieThunder obtains Carroll in trade - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Generals To Be Visited In Opener By New IHL Commissioner - Flint Generals
- Komets Begin Defense Of The Turner Cup Tonight At Dayton's Hara Arena - Fort Wayne Komets
- Lipsett, Goulet, Gasper To Serve As Mallards Alternate Captains - Quad City Mallards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Flint Generals Stories
- Generals Zvyagin on Shelf, Alban Signed as Emergency Backup
- Generals and Komets Prepare for Game 4 on Friday
- Generals Win Thriller in OT to Take Game 3
- Generals Prepared For Game 3 Of Turner Cup Finals At Home Tonight At 7pm
- Generals Defeat Muskegon In Game 7; Will Face Fort Wayne In Turner Cup Finals