Generals take two in a row from IceHawks
FLINT, MI - Round two of the three-game mini-series between the Flint Generals and the Port Huron IceHawks went to the home team by a final score of 3- 1. The Generals earned the two points in Friday's game at McMorran Arena, their second straight victory over Port Huron and both coming on the road. Saturday's game was the third straight win for the Flint squad over their I- 69 rivals.
Chris Kovlacik and Justin Kostadine got things going six minutes into the game when the two dropped the gloves down in Flint's defensive zone. In the later stages of the first, Rick Smith put the Gens on the board with a power play goal. Larry Sterling stopped Brandon Gentile's shot from the slot but gave up the rebound to Smith who put the puck up and back behind the Port Huron netminder. Bryan Smolinski also assisted on the play.
Flint had the momentum heading into the first intermission but it was the IceHawks who came out strong in the second period, getting a goal from Derek Patrosso just .36 seconds into play. He had taken the shot and Rob Nolan thought he had the puck but it dropped down out of his pads and into the back of the net. Thanks to the efforts of Nolan, the teams headed into the locker rooms knotted at 1-1.
Just over the midway point of the final frame, Pascal Rheaume netted his seventh of the season. He carried the puck around and to the front of the net taking the shot and beating Sterling blocker side. Matt Moffat put the Generals up by two at the 12:05 mark. He was alone in the slot when a rebound came right to him.
The Generals were 1 of 6 on the power while Nolan stopped 35 of 36 shots faced through 60:00 minutes.
Flint and Port Huron wrap up the three game series tomorrow afternoon at McMorran Arena for a 5:00 PM puck drop.
• Discuss this story on the International Hockey League 2 message board...
International Hockey League 2 Stories from February 13, 2010
- Generals take two in a row from IceHawks - Flint Generals
- Puska on Pucks Features Lake Erie Monsters and Muskegon Lumberjacks - OSC Original by Denis Puska
- Fort Wayne Blanks Mallards - Quad City Mallards
- Gems fall to Lumberjacks - Dayton Gems
- Mallards Activate Harrison - Quad City Mallards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Flint Generals Stories
- Generals Zvyagin on Shelf, Alban Signed as Emergency Backup
- Generals and Komets Prepare for Game 4 on Friday
- Generals Win Thriller in OT to Take Game 3
- Generals Prepared For Game 3 Of Turner Cup Finals At Home Tonight At 7pm
- Generals Defeat Muskegon In Game 7; Will Face Fort Wayne In Turner Cup Finals