Generals Streak Halted At 3, Fall 3-2 To Komets In OT
FLINT, MI - The Flint Generals winning streak was snuffed with a 3-2 overtime loss to the Fort Wayne Komets Sunday afternoon at
Flint, coming into the game on a three game winning streak, played a bit sluggish in the first with much of the play down in their defensive end. With just under four minutes to play in the opening session, Greg Bullock found John Ronan alone in front of Tim Haun and Ronan made sure to hit the back of the net. The goal was Ronan's second goal in as many games and fifth on the season.
Scoring two goals to take a 2-1 lead, the Komets owned the second period. Former General Leo Thomas got Fort Wayne on the board at 9:01 when his shot bounced high into the air and off the stick of Flint defenseman Craig Cescon. David Hukalo, who was robbed by Jean-Francois Labbe in the last meeting between these two teams, gave Fort Wayne the lead with 5:13 to play in the second. The Komets were on the lone power play of the game when Hukalo's shot from the point beat netminder Rob Nolan high.
The Gens came out fighting in the third, outshooting the Komets 15 to 5. Just 2:21 into the final stage, Rick Smith tied the game at 2-2 with Nate Ward and Bryan Smolinski assisting on the play. The frustration of both teams with the officiating showed itself 9:12 into the third when Craig Cescon and Kaliegh Schrock dropped the gloves. Both got in their punches but Cescon got the better of Kaliegh before a linesman stepped in.
An extra five minute session was begun but Leo Thomas only needed 2:02 to find the net and give the Komets the win.
Nolan stopped 34 of 37 shots while the Gens fired 35 at Haun. The point moves the Generals within six points of their next opponent, the Bloomington PrairieThunder who have hit a rough patch losing six of their last seven games. The Gens head to Bloomington Friday, December 11th for the 7:30 contest. They do not return home until December 18th when they welcome the Port Huron IceHawks for the Toys for Tots Drive.
Tickets for the December 18th game are on sale at the Perani Ticket Office, by phone at 810-744-0580, or through Ticketmaster. For group ticket information, call the Generals Office at 810-744-0222 or visit our website at www.flintgenerals.com.
• Discuss this story on the International Hockey League 2 message board...
International Hockey League 2 Stories from December 6, 2009
- Puska on Pucks Features Two of Pro Hockey's Top Teams - OSC Original by Denis Puska
- Dayton Gems Fall To Port Huron 7:4 - Dayton Gems
- Icehawks Skate To 7-4 Victory Over Gems - Port Huron Icehawks
- Generals Streak Halted At 3, Fall 3-2 To Komets In OT - Flint Generals
- Lumberjacks Sweep Week - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- 'Jacks Weekly Notes - Muskegon Lumberjacks
Other Recent Flint Generals Stories
- Generals Zvyagin on Shelf, Alban Signed as Emergency Backup
- Generals and Komets Prepare for Game 4 on Friday
- Generals Win Thriller in OT to Take Game 3
- Generals Prepared For Game 3 Of Turner Cup Finals At Home Tonight At 7pm
- Generals Defeat Muskegon In Game 7; Will Face Fort Wayne In Turner Cup Finals