Generals outlast Komets
FLINT, MI - The Flint Generals squeaked past the Fort Wayne Komets 3-2 in a shootout Saturday evening Perani Arena, for their second meeting in three games.
Scoring began with a short handed Fort Wayne goal. The Gens were unable to hold the puck in their offensive zone which led to a breakaway for the Komets and ended with the puck in the net behind Rob Nolan. Former General Leo Thomas got the unassisted goal at 6:12. Flint evened the score less than two minutes later when John Ronan beat Fort Wayne netminder Tim Haun with a backhanded shot from the bottom of the right circle. The goal increased Ronan's point streak to ten games.
The second period went scoreless until more than halfway through and once again it was the team from Indiana that hit the back of the net first. Fort Wayne dumped the puck into the corner; Leo Thomas shot it out across the crease to Konstantine Shafranov who chipped it in past Nolan giving the Komets a 2-1 lead. John Mori tied it back up for the Gens when he beat Haun after following his own rebound.
The third period was a story of goaltending. The men between the pipes at both ends of the ice made impressive and timely saves throughout keeping the score tied at 2-2 through the entire twenty minutes. The game would head to overtime before being decided in a shootout. John Ronan missed the Gens first shot but Jamie Schaafsma and Pascal Rheaume found the back of the net while Rob Nolan stopped Shafranov and Thomas.
Flint went 0 of 5 with the man advantage; the Komets went 0 of 4 while Nolan stopped 30 of 32 shots faced through 65 minutes.
Another installment of Generals hockey comes to Perani tomorrow afternoon at 4PM when the Gens play host to the Muskegon Lumberjacks for the last day of the food drive with Carriage Town Ministries
• Discuss this story on the International Hockey League 2 message board...
International Hockey League 2 Stories from January 2, 2010
- Bedard Records Hat Trick As Icehawks Skate To 7-2 Win Over Lumberjacks - Port Huron Icehawks
- Generals outlast Komets - Flint Generals
- Mallards, Kaufmann Blank Bloomington 1-0 - Quad City Mallards
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Flint Generals Stories
- Generals Zvyagin on Shelf, Alban Signed as Emergency Backup
- Generals and Komets Prepare for Game 4 on Friday
- Generals Win Thriller in OT to Take Game 3
- Generals Prepared For Game 3 Of Turner Cup Finals At Home Tonight At 7pm
- Generals Defeat Muskegon In Game 7; Will Face Fort Wayne In Turner Cup Finals