Generals Force Game 7 with 5-2 Victory over Muskegon
FLINT, MI - Tyler Howells slap shot goal with 41 seconds left in the 2nd period while the Generals were enjoying a 5 on 3 powerplay advantage proved to be the game winner as the Flint Generals defeated the Muskegon Lumberjacks 5-2 in front of 1,720 fans at Perani Arena Tuesday night to force game 7 in their semi final series.
Flint opened the scoring in the 1st period when Mike Olynyk beat Sebastien Centomo at the 8:13 mark while both teams were playing 4 aside. Brian Bicek tied it up for Muskegon just over 7 minutes later, but John Ronan scored on a snap shot at the 18:25 mark to send the Generals into the first intermission with a 2-1 lead. Matt Krug tied the game for the Lumberjacks at the 4:33 mark of the 2nd on the powerplay, and Howells got that back for the Generals late in the period to give Flint a 3-2 lead after 2 periods. John Mori scored the insurance marker for the Generals at the 8:44 mark of the 3rd and Jamie Schaafsma scored the 2nd powerplay goal for the Generals with 33 seconds left to round out the scoring.
Game 7 is Wednesday night in Muskegon at 7pm, and the Generals are heading across state with a large contingent of fans. Two and possibly three busloads of fans will be going to Muskegon to cheer on the Generals and show their support. The winner of tomorrow's game 7 will then face the two-time defending Turner Cup Champion Fort Wayne Komets in the finals.
• Discuss this story on the International Hockey League 2 message board...
International Hockey League 2 Stories from May 4, 2010
- Generals Force Game 7 with 5-2 Victory over Muskegon - Flint Generals
- IHL Negotiating For Generals Return For 2010-2011 Season - IHL 2
- Generals Play Game 6 Tonight - Flint Generals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Flint Generals Stories
- Generals Zvyagin on Shelf, Alban Signed as Emergency Backup
- Generals and Komets Prepare for Game 4 on Friday
- Generals Win Thriller in OT to Take Game 3
- Generals Prepared For Game 3 Of Turner Cup Finals At Home Tonight At 7pm
- Generals Defeat Muskegon In Game 7; Will Face Fort Wayne In Turner Cup Finals