Generals End Biscuits' Season, 6-5
MONTGOMERY, Ala. - The Biscuits (1-3) saw their incredible 2019 season come to a painful end on Saturday night in a hard-fought 6-5 loss to the Jackson Generals (3-1) in Game 4 of the 2019 North Division Championship Series at Riverwalk Stadium. The Generals won the series three games to one, and will now head back to the Southern League Championship Series for a second-straight year and the third time in the last four years.
Shane McClanahan started for the Biscuits and surrendered a towering solo home run to left to the lead-off hitter Ben DeLuzio that put the Generals up 1-0 before an out had been recorded. The Biscuits responded in the bottom of the first with a lead-off triple by Lucius Fox off Emilio Vargas (1-0), before Brett Sullivan mashed a two-run homer to right to hand Montgomery their first lead since Game 1 at 2-1.
Ramon Hernandez hit an RBI-single in the third inning to tie the game at two, and then McClanahan was removed for Tommy Romero (0-1) to begin the fourth with the game all square. Ryan Grotjohn led off the top of the fourth with a double, and then Camden Duzenack brought him home with an RBI-triple off the wall in left to make it 3-2 Generals. Pavin Smith then crushed a three-run homer to right to pad Jackson's lead to 6-2.
The Biscuits would pull back a run in the bottom of the sixth thanks to a Carl Chester RBI-double down the left field line to make it a 6-3 game. They then pulled back another when Milles Mastrobuoni led off the seventh with a solo homer to right to make it 6-4.
Generals closer West Tunnell came on in the bottom ninth with the score still 6-4, and walked the first batter Mastrobuoni before serving up a single to Thomas Milone. Grant Kay then walked and the bases were loaded with nobody out.
Taylor Walls then struck out and Brett Sullivan delivered a sac fly to make it a one-run game at 6-5 and move Milone to third. With two outs, and the tying run 90 feet away, Tristan Gray climbed in and flew out to center, ending what was a magical 2019 season for the Biscuits, who still finished with the most wins in team history with 88.
The Butter and Blue will now head for the off-season, and be back at it again, only this time in the South Division, in 2020.
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from September 7, 2019
- Generals End Biscuits' Season, 6-5 - Montgomery Biscuits
- Playoffs Gameday: September 7 at Montgomery - Jackson Generals
- Newcomers Keep Blue Wahoos Alive - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Shuckers Drop Game Three in Pensacola - Biloxi Shuckers
- Just How They Drew It Up: Ellis Smashes Two Homers in Game 3 Win, 4-0 - Jackson Generals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Montgomery Biscuits Stories
- Beat the Heat, Hang out in the Club Car Bar
- Biscuits 2020 Season Cancelled
- Biscuits Charitable Foundation and Bama-Q TV to Stream Community Fundraiser
- Biscuits Serve Special Blend of Promotions in the Year of Chicken
- Biscuits DiBella to be Inducted into International Boxing Hall of Fame