Generals Acquire Olynyk From Gems
FLINT, MI - The Flint Generals announced Thursday that they acquired and signed Mike Olynyk in a trade with the Dayton Gems for the rights of Matt Smyth.
The 6'0" 197 pound forward's career began in the CHL with the Austin Ice Bats back in the 2002-03 season, scoring 4 goals and 11 assists for 15 points through 60 games played. He broke into this league in 2005-06 with the Quad City Mallards; he has also played in Port Huron and Muskegon. Olynyk is in his eight professional season, has netted 42 goals and 55 assists in 387 professional games. In his 18 games with the Gems he collected 3 goals and 2 assists for 5 points.
The Sparwood, BC native came to Flint in a trade that involved Dayton, Bloomington and Flint. The Generals acquired the rights to Matt Smyth from Bloomington to complete an earlier trade for future considerations that sent Rick Varone to the PrairieThunder.
Olynyk and the Generals head to Bloomington Friday night to avenge their overtime loss in Flint March 14th, and look to close the gap between them and the PrairieThunder in their push to make the playoffs.
The next game at Perani Arena is Sunday, March 28th when Fort Wayne visits for "Country Western Night." Tickets for the March 28th game are available at the Perani Arena Ticket Office, by phone at 810-744-0580.
• Discuss this story on the International Hockey League 2 message board...
International Hockey League 2 Stories from March 18, 2010
- Dayton Gems Announce 2010 - 2011 Ticket Information - Dayton Gems
- PrairieThunder Trades Smyth - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Dayton Gems Sign Forward Matt Smyth - Dayton Gems
- Generals Acquire Olynyk From Gems - Flint Generals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Flint Generals Stories
- Generals Zvyagin on Shelf, Alban Signed as Emergency Backup
- Generals and Komets Prepare for Game 4 on Friday
- Generals Win Thriller in OT to Take Game 3
- Generals Prepared For Game 3 Of Turner Cup Finals At Home Tonight At 7pm
- Generals Defeat Muskegon In Game 7; Will Face Fort Wayne In Turner Cup Finals