Gems Win Big Over Mudbugs, 5-3
When the Dayton Gems defeated Bossier-Shreveport 5-3 on Thursday night, a burden was lifted off the Gems' shoulders.
Heading into Thursday, Dayton had lost five consecutive road games. The last time the Gems won on the road was Dec. 18, when they defeated Fort Wayne 3-2. But even that win wasn't easy for the Gems. They fell behind 0-2 early on and had to score three unanswered goals to capture the Dec. 18 win.
Thursday's win was very similar.
The Gems found themselves in an early 0-2 hole in the first period after giving up a pair of goals to the Mudbugs in the first seven minutes of play.
After that, Dayton was the one to do the scoring.
Matt Miller - who joined the team on January 5 - scored the first goal of the game for the Gems. It was Miller's first goal in a Gems uniform.
In the second period, the Gems took 11 shots at the goal and were rewarded for their effort. Jonathan Ornelas scored just 2:18 into the period and tied the game at 2-2. Erik Boisvert gave the Gems a 3-2 lead with his 12th goal of the season.
In the opening minutes of the third period, Tom Boudreau made the score 4-2 in favor of the Gems with his third goal this season. Boisvert and Greg Labenski each assisted Boudreau on the goal.
After a goal by Bossier-Shreveport made it 4-3, Labenski rounded out the scoring for the evening by scoring an unassisted goal in the final minutes of play to give Dayton the 5-3 win.
Dayton (18-14-3) will continue on its three game road trip by heading to Mississippi to take on the RiverKings on Friday night at 8:05 p.m.
The Kettering Medical Center is proud to be the official title sponsor of the Gems for the 2010-11 season.
• Discuss this story on the Central Hockey League message board...
Central Hockey League Stories from January 20, 2011
- Mudbugs Drop First-Ever Meeting with Gems - Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs
- Gems Win Big Over Mudbugs, 5-3 - Dayton Gems
- Americans Game Vs Killer Bees Postponed - Allen Americans
- CHL Friday's Allen/RGV Game Postponed - CHL
- Killer Bees Game Against Allen Postponed - Rio Grande Valley Killer Bees
- Rush Set for Final Home Games Before Stock Show; Tickets Still Available for Rush Vs. IceMen - Rapid City Rush
- RiverKings Ready for 8th Face off Field Trip - Mississippi RiverKings
- Rush Help Raise Over $4,700 for Special Olympics - Rapid City Rush
- Bucks Start Road Trip Friday - Laredo Bucks
- PrairieThunder Weekend Preview - Bloomington PrairieThunder
- Brahmas Look to Continue Win Streak - Fort Worth Brahmas
- Mallards Game at Bloomington Originally Set for March 18 Moved to February 1 - Quad City Mallards
- Jacks Comeback Falls Short, 5-3, in Arizona - Odessa Jackalopes
- Sundogs Win Third Straight at Home, Down Jackalopes, 5-3 - Arizona Sundogs
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Dayton Gems Stories
- Dayton Gems Donate Thousands of Dollars to Local Family & Area First Responders
- Dayton Gems End Season After 6-2 Loss to Komets Sunday
- Gems Play Season Finale Against Komets Today
- Gems Fall in Overtime to Komets 2-1 on Saturday Night
- Gems Host Komets for "Pack the House Night"