Garnett, Riley Named to 2007 All-Ironman Team
GRAND RAPIDS - For the first time in team history, the Grand Rapids Rampage will have two players on the Arena Football League's All-Ironman Team. Offensive/defensive lineman Winfield Garnett (Harvey, Ill.) and wide receiver/linebacker Jerome Riley (Los Angeles, Calif.) each earned the honor for the first time in their careers.
Slated as a go-to defensive lineman at the beginning of Grand Rapids' 2007 season, Garnett was forced to spend time on the offensive side of the ball for much of the year due to several Rampage team injuries. Despite splitting time, Garnett recorded solid defensive numbers, tying for the Rampage lead among linemen with 15 tackles, 4.5 tackles for loss and 3.5 sacks. The team captain's pass protection was impressive as well, as Rampage quarterback Chad Salisbury (Perryopolis, Pa.) recorded Grand Rapids' highest passer rating (108.1) since Clint Dolezel's 119.3 in 2003.
Riley posted career numbers offensively and defensively in 2007 despite playing only 12 games due to injury. Though he recorded career highs in receptions (78), receiving yards (845), and receiving touchdowns (12), the four-year AFL veteran may have had the biggest impact at the linebacker position. Riley scored four defensive touchdowns, logged a career-high four interceptions and three fumble recoveries, and totaled a personal best 31.5 tackles. For his efforts, Riley was named Ironman of the Game in five of his 12 outings.
Grand Rapids players have been named to the AFL All-Ironman Team in each of the last three seasons, as Chris Avery and Timon Marshall were honored in 2005 and 2006. 2007 marks the first year that multiple members of the Rampage have been named to the team, however. Both Garnett and Riley are under contract with Grand Rapids for the 2008 season.
2007 AFL All-Ironman Team
Position Player Team
FB/LB Duke Pettijohn Dallas
FB/LB Robert Thomas Colorado
FB/LB Harold Wells Columbus
FB/LB Idris Price Philadelphia
OL/DL Chris Snyder Colorado
OL/DL Winfield Garnett Grand Rapids
OL/DL Reggie Lee Orlando
WR/DB Will Pettis Dallas
WR/LB DeJuan Alfonzo Chicago
WR/LB Lawrence Samuels Tampa Bay
WR/LB Ryan Dennard Utah
WR/LB B.J. Barre Columbus
WR/LB Jerome Riley Grand Rapids
WR/LB Jason Geathers San Jose
• Discuss this story on the Arena Football League (1987-2008) message board...
Arena Football League (1987-2008) Stories from June 29, 2007
- Soul Take Down Predators In Wild Card Matchup, 41-26 - Philadelphia Soul
- Geathers Earns Spot On 2007 AFL All-Ironman Team - San Jose SaberCats
- Tampa Bay's Samuels Earns AFL All-Ironman Honors - Tampa Bay Storm
- Garnett, Riley Named to 2007 All-Ironman Team - Grand Rapids Rampage
- Cohen Can Become AFL's All-Time Postseason Sack Leader This Weekend - AFL I
- Barre, Wells Named To 2007 All-Ironman Team - Columbus Destroyers
- Ryan Dennard Named To All-Ironman Team - Utah Blaze
- Chicago Rush Playoff Game July 9th - Chicago Rush
- Alfonzo Named To AFL All-Ironman Team - Chicago Rush
- 2007 AFL All-Ironman Team - AFL I
- 2007 Was Record Setting Season - AFL I
- ArenaBowl XXI - Bloggers Welcome - AFL I
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Grand Rapids Rampage Stories
- Oklahoma City Yard Dawgz Hold Open Player Tryout in Grand Rapids
- Former Rampage Player Leif Murphy Back with the IFL's Storm
- Rage Dance Team Pom & Dance Challenge
- Rage Dance Team to Perform at Davenport Basketball Games
- AFL Suspends 2009 Season; Rampage Prepare for Future