Gabe Klassen Named WHL Player of the Week
Portland, Ore. - The Western Hockey League today announced that Portland Winterhawks forward Gabe Klassen has been named Player of the Week for the week ending Sept. 25.
Klassen, 19, netted six goals in Portland's two games on opening weekend, helping his club pick up back-to-back wins over B.C. Division opponents in Kamloops and Kelowna. The Prince Albert, Sask. native opened the season with a goal just 1:34 into Friday's win over Kamloops, then picked up another in the final frame of that tilt. Building off his first-star showing in game one, Klassen continued to set the pace in Kelowna with a stunning four goals against the Rockets, fueling Portland's third-period push to erase a two-goal deficit en route to a 6-5 OT win.
Coming off a 33-goal, 64-point regular season in 2021-22, Klassen leads all WHL skaters in points (6) and goals (6) through two games. The 5-foot-10, 176-pound former first-round WHL Prospects Draft selection has amassed 54 goals, 42 points and 96 points in 119 games with Portland.
Klassen and the Winterhawks now return to the Rose City for the team's home opener on Saturday, Oct. 1 against the Tri-City Americans.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from September 26, 2022
- Victoria Royals and Babcock Canada Partner to Celebrate the Canadian Armed Forces and their Families - Victoria Royals
- Rebels this Week - Red Deer Rebels
- Gabe Klassen Named WHL Player of the Week - Portland Winterhawks
- WHL Announces Weekly Award Winners - WHL
- September 26 - Canes Chatter - Lethbridge Hurricanes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Winterhawks Stories
- Winterhawks Weekly: Hawks Pick up Three Points; Teddy Bear Toss on the Horizon
- Hawks Tally Twice in the Third to Pick up a Point in Everett
- Hawks Pick Up A Point In Everett
- Game Day Hub: December 3 at Everett
- Hawks Rally and Tally Three Unanswered for 3-1 Win Over Royals