Fresno FL Issues Statement in Response to Comments Made by City of Fresno Mayor Lee Brand and Councilmember Miguel Arias
Fresno Football Club would like to thank the fans, sponsors, and members of the community who have supported the team throughout our first years. This statement is in response to Councilmember Miguel Arias and Mayor Lee Brand's statements on Thursday, October 10 in regard to their involvement with Fresno FC in finding a potential stadium location.
Fresno FC's original vision was to find a downtown site at which to build a stadium. From the beginning, Fresno FC connected with city officials to assist in the search. Fresno FC and the city then discussed the following sites: Selland Arena, Convention Center Parking Lot, and Lot 1 on H Street across from Chukchansi Park.
Selland Arena & Convention Center Parking Lot - Upon a walkthrough of the facility with an architectural firm, the recommendation was made to reconfigure the parking area to fit a soccer-specific stadium. The site plan needed an adjustment to the private parking on site. The city stated that they would not get involved in the negotiation of private parking. Negotiations ended without a positive end result.
Lot 1 - The same firm evaluated Lot 1 and advised that the site needed to be widened to fit a soccer-specific stadium. Increasing the size of the site would have required in turning H Street between Kern and Mono into a one-way street. The city stated they would not make that change to the road.
Chukchansi Park - Fresno FC also requested the City of Fresno subsidize the rent at Chukchansi Park to afford more time in a search for a permanent venue. This request was denied by the City.
The private sites that were identified by Fresno FC inside city limits did not make logistical sense for a stadium plan. Following the failed attempts to stay in downtown Fresno, club leadership has had to explore other options. The club is continuing to look outside of the city limits for potential stadium locations.
"We are disappointed that we could not make a stadium site work within the City of Fresno thus far. We thank the fans for their continued support up to now and into the postseason. Fresno FC will continue to work on solutions for the future." said Frank Yallop, General Manager of Fresno FC.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from October 11, 2019
- OCSC Journey North to Battle Sacramento Republic FC - Orange County SC
- Fresno FL Issues Statement in Response to Comments Made by City of Fresno Mayor Lee Brand and Councilmember Miguel Arias - Fresno FC
- Nashville SC Going for Gold at Nissan Stadium this Saturday against North Carolina FC - Nashville SC
- Match Preview: Indy Eleven Continues Fight for Top of the Table at Tampa Bay Rowdies - Indy Eleven
- Three Things to Know: Nashville SC vs. North Carolina FC at Nissan Stadium - Nashville SC
- Real Monarchs SLC Visits Phoenix Rising FC in Final Road Trip of 2019 Regular Season - Real Monarchs SLC
- Game Day Tomorrow vs New Mexico United - FC Tulsa
- Match Preview: Bethlehem Steel FC Travels to Face Ottawa Fury FC - Philadelphia Union II
- Game Notes: Tacoma Defiance vs. Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC - October 12, 2019 - Tacoma Defiance
- Memphis 901 FC Home for Key Match Tomorrow Night - Memphis 901 FC
- Championship Look Ahead - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Match Preview: #TBRvIND - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- North Carolina FC Ready for Road Challenge at Nashville SC - North Carolina FC
- Match Preview: Ottawa Fury FC vs Bethlehem Steel FC - Ottawa Fury FC
- El Paso Locomotive FC Draws with Austin Bold and Need Only One Point to Secure Playoff Bid - El Paso Locomotive FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fresno FC Stories
- Fresno Football Club Issues Official Statement
- No. 3 Fresno FC vs. No. 6 El Paso Locomotive FC Playoff Preview
- Nine-Man Foxes Side Falls at Orange County to End Regular Season
- Zorros Draw 2-2 with La Galaxy II on Stand up 2 Cancer Night
- Fresno FC vs. LA Galaxy II Preview