Fresno FC Falls 1-0 at Colorado Springs
FRESNO, Calif. - Fresno FC fell 1-0 at Colorado Spring Switchbacks FC on Saturday night, ending the Foxes' stretch of four straight road matches in 11 days. Jordan Burt's header just before halftime was the only thing that separated the two Western Conference sides at Weidner Field.
Fresno (5W-2L-5D) had the first strike of the match, with Elijah Martin trying a far-post effort that just missed the target at the third minute. Things slowed down, however, with both clubs trading possession for the next 20 minutes before finding a rhythm. That's when the action picked up with Zachary Ellis-Hayden nearly connecting with Jaime Chavez on a cross for the team's next-best chance of the half. Ten minutes later, the Switchbacks attacked but Fresno goalkeeper CJ Cochran made a diving save to slap away Jordan Schweitzer's attempt from long range.
Not too much longer, the hosts had a pair of quick chances stopped in front of goal by Cochran and center back Ramon Martin Del Campo, but eventually broke through via Burt's header on a corner.
In the second half, Fresno's best opportunity came 10 minutes in when Arun Basuljevic bumped Switchbacks goalie Andre Rawls while going for the rebound, that bounced the ball into the goal, but was ultimately ruled a foul.
Los Zorros return home this week against OKC Energy FC on Saturday, June 8. Tickets for that match are on sale now at FresnoFC.com, the Chukchansi Park box office and by calling 559-320-2525.
COS - Jordan Burt (Ish Jome) 45'
88:29 Yellow Card - Alexander Molano - Foul
82:25 Yellow Card - Kristoffer Reaves - Foul
EL MEXICANO MAN OF THE MATCH: Elijah Martin, LB
Martin completed 38 of 42 passes for a 90.5% clip, recorded 2 shots, 1 key pass, 3 interceptions, 2 tackles and had a team-high 78 touches against Switchbacks FC.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from June 1, 2019
- Greens and Los Dos Play to Scoreless Draw - OKC Energy FC
- El Paso Locomotive FC Remain Unbeaten in Seven Straight League Matches - El Paso Locomotive FC
- Jordan Burt Header Powers Switchbacks FC over Fresno FC Saturday Night - Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC
- Legion FC Falls to Tampa Bay - Birmingham Legion FC
- Rough Night in Orange County Results in Loss for Rgv FC - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Saturday Night's Memphis 901 FC Away Match at Saint Louis FC Postponed - Memphis 901 FC
- Fresno FC Falls 1-0 at Colorado Springs - Fresno FC
- STLFC vs. Memphis 901 FC Postponed - Saint Louis FC
- Indy Eleven Exacts Revenge on Pittsburgh, Closes Five-Game Homestand with 2-1 Victory - Indy Eleven
- Tyrpak Too Much for Tulsa Roughnecks - FC Tulsa
- Hounds Fall on Road to Eleven, 2-1 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Kristen Hamilton Nets Hat Trick in 3-0 Win over Orlando Pride - North Carolina FC
- North Carolina FC Earns Point on the Road with 1-1 Draw in Hartford - North Carolina FC
- Josef Martinez Brace Hands Atlanta United 2-0 Win against Chicago Fire - Atlanta United 2
- Fresno FC at Colorado Springs Preview - Fresno FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fresno FC Stories
- Fresno Football Club Issues Official Statement
- No. 3 Fresno FC vs. No. 6 El Paso Locomotive FC Playoff Preview
- Nine-Man Foxes Side Falls at Orange County to End Regular Season
- Zorros Draw 2-2 with La Galaxy II on Stand up 2 Cancer Night
- Fresno FC vs. LA Galaxy II Preview