Free Throw Line Clips the Legends in Final Seconds
FRISCO, TX, - The Texas Legends (1-1) knocked down 18 threes but were shocked by the Agua Caliente Clippers (3-1) 117-118 in the final seconds of the Friday night shootout.
The Clippers grabbed the first basket and went up 7-0 before Texas made a mark. The Legends found themselves down again 12-5 before an eight-point run gave them their first lead of the night. The two teams exchanged leads five more times in the first, but the Clippers held the advantage at the buzzer. Using a balanced scoring effort, the Clippers widened the gap to 15 in the second and maintained a double-digit deficit (+11) heading into the locker room.
Texas came alive in the third, shooting 70% from outside and using a 10-point performance from Gian Clavell to bridge the gap. Texas sank five threes in the final four minutes to take over 88-82 heading into the fourth. Brandon Ashley continued the trend, opening the final quarter ceremoniously with an outside shot. The Legends held their largest lead of the night (+10) with just under four minutes to play. The home team chipped away at the deficit, but Texas held onto a six-point advantage with 53 seconds to play. The tides turned, and free throws fell on only one end of the court as the Clippers snuck up to a one-point win moments before the final buzzer.
Clavell led all scorers with 29 points (6-12 from outside) while adding 7 rebounds. Justin Dentmon followed with 23 points (5-11 outside) and 6 boards.
The Clippers were powered by Tyler Roberson with 18 points, 8 rebounds off the bench while Marshall Plumlee grabbed a game-high 11 boards.
Texas continues their four-game road streak Sunday night at 7pm CT against the South Bay Lakers. The team will make their home debut Saturday, Nov. 18th at 7:30pm hosting the Oklahoma City Blue. Fans can catch all the action and purchase tickets at www.TexLegends.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from November 13, 2017
- Skyforce Hold off Stars in 119-109 Win - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Bighorns Fall Short in Home Opener - Reno Bighorns
- Free Throw Line Clips the Legends in Final Seconds - Texas Legends
- CRAIG, SKYFORCE SURVIVE SEVENS' FOURTH QUARTER COMEBACK - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- NNOKO'S TIP-IN CAPS DRIVE'S COMEBACK WIN OVER KNICKS - Grand Rapids Drive
- CHARGE COME UP SHORT IN LAKELAND - Canton Charge
- LAUNCHPAD CITY NAMED OFFICIAL SPORTS INNOVATION PARTNER OF THE TEXAS LEGENDS - Texas Legends
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.