Forward Madison FC Signs Second Goalkeeper
Forward Madison FC has signed 30-year-old Irishman Ryan Coulter as a goalkeeper and goalkeeping coach, the club announced Wednesday. Coulter brings a veteran presence to the team, having played over 3,000 minutes professionally in the League of Ireland. Coulter also comes in with previous coaching experience and a UEFA Goalkeeping B License.
Coulter, who spent 2018 as a goalkeeping coach for the University of Central Florida and as a player for Emerald Force SC in the NPSL while waiting on his Green Card, said he was delighted to have the opportunity to both coach and play for Forward Madison.
"When (Head Coach) Daryl Shore spoke to me about what the opportunity was, to compete to play as well as come in and be the goalkeeper coach, I couldn't turn it down," he said. "Adding into the mix that it's a brand-new franchise, it's really exciting times. I couldn't get the pen to paper quick enough, really."
According to Shore, Coulter will not only serve as a key member of FMFC's coaching staff, but will also be expected to contribute on the pitch.
"When I reached out to Ryan, I knew within the first five minutes that this would be a good fit," Shore said. "He buys into everything we we've talked about from both the coaching side and the playing side of things. You want two goalkeepers who can be seen as your number one goalkeeper, and we feel that in signing Ryan, we have someone who will not only push (current FMFC goalkeeper) Brian Sylvestre, but can challenge him for playing time as well."
With preseason now underway and the season coming up in April, Coulter said he can't wait to get started.
"I'm excited to see our fanbase take over Breese Stevens Field," Coulter said. "I'm excited to see that pink and blue all around the place. The people seem really, really friendly as well. I'm excited to be here. I'm excited to be a part of it."
Ryan's signing will be confirmed pending league and federation approval. Follow Ryan on Instagram at @coultergk1.
Forward Madison FC's inaugural season is nearly here! The team will kick off its first-ever game on April 6, and open at home on April 27 vs Greenville Triumph SC. Get tickets to see Ryan and the rest of the team in Forward Madison's inaugural season at: https://www.forwardmadisonfc.com/tickets.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League One message board...
United Soccer League One Stories from February 20, 2019
- Forward Madison FC Signs Second Goalkeeper - Forward Madison FC
- OCB Announces Inaugural 2019 USL League One Roster - Orlando City B
- City Stadium to Host Mallory Pugh and the Washington Spirit March 16 - Richmond Kickers
- North Texas Soccer Club Signs David Rodriguez - North Texas SC
- ESPN+, USL League One Reach Media Rights Agreement - USL1
- ESPN+, USL League One Reach Media Rights Agreement - Lansing Ignite
- Conor Shanosky Returns to Richmond - Richmond Kickers
- Chattanooga Red Wolves SC Partners with East Ridge Futbol Club - Chattanooga Red Wolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Forward Madison FC Stories
- Forward Madison's Diaz Nominated for League One Defender of the Year
- Two Forward Madison Players Named to USL All-League Teams
- Forward Madison Fans Could Win Free Beer for a Year
- Forward Madison Invites Fans to Thank-You Party on Wednesday
- Forward Madison Closes out Inaugural Season in Playoff Loss to North Texas SC