Former Providence Reds Forward Jim Bartlett Named to AHL Hall of Fame
Springfield, MA - The American Hockey League today announced the four inductees into the American Hockey League Hall of Fame as the Class of 2018 with former Providence Reds forward Jim Bartlett among the inductees. Also honored by the AHL Hall of Fame Selection Committee as the 13th group of enshrinees are Don Biggs, Brian Kilrea and Glenn Merkosky.
Bartlett spent a majority of his 21-year professional career in the American Hockey League with eight of those seasons coming with the Providence Reds. Nicknamed "Rocky" for his feisty style of play, he debuted in the NHL with his hometown Montreal Canadiens in 1955 before making his first AHL appearance with Providence the following season, racking up 28 goals and 110 penalty minutes in 50 games and helping the Reds to the 1956 Calder Cup championship. It would be the first of a dozen 20-goal seasons for Bartlett in the American League. In 1958, Bartlett tied an AHL record when he scored two goals in a span of just five seconds against Rochester, a mark that still stands.
Bartlett played the entire 1960-61 campaign with the Boston Bruins, recording career highs in goals and points in his lone season with Boston and final taste of the NHL. Returning to Providence the next season, he set career highs with 31 goals in 1961-62 and 66 points in 1962-63, famously playing on the "B" Line with Stan Baliuk and Pierre Brillant. He finished his Reds career leading the team in penalty minutes (705) while finishing third in goals (200), fifth in games played (512) and fifth scoring (435 points).
After retiring in 1973, Bartlett finished his AHL career with 955 regular-season games, good for 10th on the league's all-time list. He ranks ninth with 360 goals and 21st with 742 points. He also won two Calder Cups, one with Providence in 1956 and another with Springfield in 1960.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from October 17, 2017
- Condors Golf Tournament Six Days Away - Bakersfield Condors
- Penguins Use Offensive Outburst for First Two Wins Of the seasom - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Griffins Assign Borkowski to Toledo - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Former Providence Reds Forward Jim Bartlett Named to AHL Hall of Fame - Providence Bruins
- American Hockey League Hall of Fame Announces Members of Class of 2018 - AHL
- Manitoba Moose Moose Release Flood - Manitoba Moose
- Ontario Reign News - Ontario Reign
- Reign Celebrate Opening Weekend Friday - Ontario Reign
- P-Bruins and Providence College Athletics Announce Multi-Year Deal - Providence Bruins
- Providence Bruins to concluded their first homestand of the season - Providence Bruins
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Providence Bruins Stories
- Cehlarik Lifts Providence to Game Two Win
- P-Bruins Fall 3-2 in Game One Despite Two Goals from Fitzgerald
- P-Bruins vs Phantoms: Round One Series Preview
- P-Bruins Announce First Round Schedule
- P-Bruins Net Two Goals in the Final Period to Win Regular Season Finale