Former Pelicans Succeeding with New York Yankees
Several formal Pelicans have been reunited, this time as Yankees. Pelicans 2006 All-Star shortstop Carlos Mendoza and 2005 dominating closer Edwar Ramirez have carried their skill and success to the Tampa Yankees of the Florida State League.
Mendoza joined the Yankees at the end of July after putting up another stellar season with the Pelicans. The switch-hitting right-hander hit .346 with 20 doubles, 3 homeruns, 34 RBI, 40 runs scored, and 21 stolen bases. He represented the Pelicans in the 2006 All-Star Game as the starting shortstop for the American Association vs. the Can-Am League.
After a slow start with the Yankees, Mendoza has eight hits including a homerun in his last five games. He is hitting .256 with a double, homerun, 4 RBI, and 7 runs scored in 12 games.
In 2005, Edwar Ramirez was nearly un-hittable. He finished the season with a 2-2 record with a league 4th best 11 saves. In 62 innings pitched, he posted a 1.45 ERA and struck-out 93 batters compared to walking only 15.
Ramirez joined the Yankees in early July, picking up right where he left off. In 19.2 innings pitched, he has a 2-1 record with an earned run average of 1.83, has struck out 28 batters, and walked six. Ramirez has given up only four runs all season. In his last outing, he threw 3.2 innings and struck-out six to record his second win.
The Pels return home tonight at Pelican Park for the first of a three-game series against the Coastal Bend Aviators. Tonight's game is "Bark in the Park", where fans can bring "man's best friend" to the game. Tuesday is another "Tuesday Madness" and Wednesday is "Family Night." All games start at 6:35 p.m.
Fans may purchase tickets on-line at www.pensacolapelicans.com or by calling the Pelicans office at 850-934-8444.
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from August 14, 2006
- American Association recap - AA
- St. Joe guts out a pair of one run victories over St. Paul - St. Joseph Blacksnakes
- X's downed by Sioux Falls - Sioux City Explorers
- Birds blast Explorers, 9-3 - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Diablos rained out - El Paso Diablos
- Buchanan named Batter Of The Week for second time - St. Paul Saints
- Here's the Scoop: Calling All Dogs - Pensacola Pelicans
- Former Pelicans Succeeding with New York Yankees - Pensacola Pelicans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.