Fonteyne, Hart Lead Silvertips to Series Lead
KENT, Wash. - Matt Fonteyne scored twice and Carter Hart furnished 33 saves to lift the Everett Silvertips to a 3-1 victory and a 2-1 series lead over the Seattle Thunderbirds before 5,600 fans at accesso ShoWare Center on Tuesday night in WHL Playoff action.
The Silvertips recovered from an early 1-0 deficit and 22 shots by Seattle in the first ten minutes before Reece Vitelli tied the game. They recaptured home ice advantage in the series and outshot Seattle, 25-10 in the final 40 minutes.
The Silvertips return to Kent on Friday, at 7:35 PM PT (Fox Sports 1380 / WHL Live) for Game 4 of the series. Tickets for Game 5 of the first round, Saturday, Mar. 31 in downtown Everett, are on sale now by clicking this link.
ROUND 1: EVERETT vs SEATTLE (Tips lead series, 2-1) COVERAGE
GAME 1: EVERETT 4 - Seattle 1
GAME 2: at Everett 4 - Seattle 5
GAME 3: EVERETT 3 - Seattle 1
GAME 4: at Seattle | Friday, Mar. 30 - 7:35pm (ShoWare Center) Fox Sports 1380 / FM 95.3 / Tips App
GAME 5: at EVERETT | Sat., Mar. 31 - 7:05pm (AOTW Arena) Fox Sports 1380 / FM 95.3 / Tips App
GAME 6: at Seattle | Tue., Apr. 3 - 7:05pm (ShoWare Center) ** Fox Sports 1380 / FM 95.3 / Tips App
GAME 7: at EVERETT | Wed., Apr. 4 - 7:05pm (AOTW Arena) ** Fox Sports 1380 / FM 95.3 / Tips App
** If necessary
In Seattle's first home playoff game of the series, they capitalized on an early Tips penalty and Nolan Volcan buried a rebound just 1:38 into the game for a 1-0 advantage, set up by Donovan Neuls' one timer at the right circle. Hart then helped the Tips sustain the one goal deficit with several point blank saves after the Tips were outhsot, 7-0 in the first three minutes and surrendered 22 in the first 10 minutes.
Eventually, their gradual containment led to more time in the offensive zone, and eventually capitalized to tie the game at 8:56. Reece Vitelli's first goal of the playoffs came off a screen set in front of Liam Hughes, and Vitelli successfully deflected Gianni Fair brother's point shot at the top of the crease.
Matt Fonteyne, who delivered a devastating check toward the end of the first period, followed up with a power play goal by winning a battle for a loose puck at 4:58 of the second period. Jake Christiansen funneled a left point shot to the net, and Hughes leaked a rebound which was eventually finished for Fonteyne's first goal of the series and a 2-1 Tips lead.
Hart and Hughes exchanged a series of high grade saves deep into the third period and Seattle eventually pulled Hughes for a sixth attacker. After the Tips cleared the zone, Matt Fonteyne spun an empty netter with 31 seconds left to seal the game.
Hughes took the loss with 34 saves.
Notes: Silvertips scratches included Blake Lyda, Jameson Murray, Luke Ormsby, Kyle Walker and Riley Sutter (one game suspension) ... Martin Fasko-Rudas earned a point for his second consecutive playoff game ... the Tips outshot Seattle, 37-34 ... the Silvertips have won eight Game 3 situations in their history, with six of those wins coming on the road.
Silvertips season ticket or mini-plan packages are available at www.everettsilvertips.com/season or by calling (425) 252-5100.
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from March 28, 2018
- Ian Furness & Dave "Softy" Mahler to Broadcast from Accesso ShoWare Center Friday - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Royals Host Game 5 Versus Giants on Saturday - Victoria Royals
- Winterhawks Game Day Preview: Portland at Spokane - Portland Winterhawks
- Giants to Host Game 2 of the 2018 CIBC Canada-Russia Series - Vancouver Giants
- Host Cities Announced for 2018 CIBC Canada-Russia Series - WHL
- Kamloops Named a Host City for 2018 CIBC Canada-Russia Series - Kamloops Blazers
- Just Three Days Remain to Take Advantage of ICE 18-19 Season Seat Renewal Pricing - Kootenay Ice
- Round 1 Game 4 vs. Brandon - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Game Day Preview: Pats Look to Even First Round Series in Game Four - Regina Pats
- Fonteyne, Hart Lead Silvertips to Series Lead - Everett Silvertips
- Hurricanes' Power Play Sinks Rebels Once Again - Red Deer Rebels
- Giants Down the Royals 5-1; Take 2-1 Series Lead - Vancouver Giants
- Royals Upended by Giants in Game 3 - Victoria Royals
- Raiders Fall In Overtime In Game 3 - Prince Albert Raiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Everett Silvertips Stories
- Michal Gut Named to Czech Republic World Junior Selection Camp
- Dustin Wolf Named to Team USA World Junior Preliminary Camp
- Gage Goncalves Named to Hockey Canada's World Junior Selection Camp
- Olen Zellweger Named to NHL Central Scouting's Players to Watch List for 2021 NHL Draft
- Silvertips Loan Five Players to Start 2020-21 Season