Flying Aces Downed by 90 Seconds in the First
FARGO, N.D. - The Central Illinois Flying Aces lost to the Fargo Force, 5 to 2, in the second night of their two-game series.
For the second night in a row, Central Illinois scored the first goal. Ryan Siedem (Madison, NJ) intercepted a Fargo pass in the defensive zone. The Harvard commit found Tyler Gratton (Pottstown, Penn.) with a stretch pass. Gratton raced into the zone with a three-on-zero numbers situation, but kept the puck and scored on his backhand midway through the first.
The Force answered just several minutes later with three quick goals in ninety seconds. Mike Kesselring scored first when he tried to pass across the slot, but the pass came right back to him and he buried it. Zach Faremouth received a slot pass and scored short side for Fargo's second of the night. Christoffer Bjork finished the scoring burst after a dumped-in puck took a weird bounce off the end boards, and Bjork capitalized on the moment.
The Flying Aces got within one early in the second. The play started with a sliding save from Mitchell Gibson (Phoenixville, Penn.). Lynden Breen (Grand Bay-Westfield, NB) battled for the rebound behind the net and passed to Joe Dunlap (Windham, NH) leaving the zone with speed. Dunlap drove down the left lane and threaded a pass between two Fargo defenders to Cal Kiefiuk (Macomb, Mich.) on the backdoor. Kiefiuk tapped the puck into the gaping net for his twelfth of the season.
Faremouth restored the two-goal lead for Fargo with his second of the night midway in the second when he grabbed the rebound of a shot in the slot.
Gratton continued his strong play against his former team. He had a shot that the goaltender got a piece of and went off the post in the third. The Penn State commit also had a penalty shot opportunity that was saved.
Fargo scored their fifth goal of the night in the third when Jeremy Davidson was stationed right in front of the crease on the power play.
Gibson finished the game with thirty-three saves.
Central Illinois returns home next Saturday (March 30th) against the Muskegon Lumberjacks in their second to last game of the season. They travel to Dubuque on Sunday, March 31st for an afternoon game against the Buccaneers.
For tickets or more information, call the Flying Aces at 309-434-2980 or visit www.flyingaceshockey.com.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from March 23, 2019
- Storm Tie Team Record for Regular Season Wins in 4-2 Defeat of Dubuque - Tri-City Storm
- RoughRiders Win on Buzzer Beater - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Musketeers Can't Find an Answer in Sioux Falls - Sioux City Musketeers
- Dubuque Can't Complete Comeback, Fall 4-2 to Tri-City - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Muskegon Trims Magic Number to Clinch East to 7 with Shootout Win over Lincoln - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Flying Aces Downed by 90 Seconds in the First - Central Illinois Flying Aces
- Stampede Stomp Musketeers 5-3 - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Stars Fight, But Fall in Shootout to Muskegon - Lincoln Stars
- Gameday Preview: Tri-City Battles Dubuque for Final Time this Season - Tri-City Storm
- Preview: Stars at Lumberjacks - Lincoln Stars
- Storm Defeat Dubuque 4-3 in Overtime - Tri-City Storm
- Sioux City Picks Up Big Two Points Against Lancers - Sioux City Musketeers
- Flying Aces Quick Start Isn't Enough against the Force - Central Illinois Flying Aces
- A Netful in Overtime - Waterloo Black Hawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.