Flores' Walk-Off Double Lifts Threshers over Tortugas, 9-8
CLEARWATER, FL - Despite blowing a 7-3 lead in the ninth, the Clearwater Threshers used a walk-off double from outfielder Wilfredo Flores in the tenth to rally back and win a third straight game 9-8 over the Daytona Tortugas on Friday night at BayCare Ballpark.
Left-hander Jordi Martinez made his second start of the season for Clearwater, allowing two runs on six hits and striking out two in five innings of work.
The Threshers (16-12) opened the scoring in the second on a two-run home run by Flores, his first of the year, before the Tortugas (13-18) loaded the bases and responded in the fourth with two runs to even the contest 2-2.
After the teams exchanged runs in the fifth and sixth inning to make it a 3-3 game, the Threshers pushed across four in the seventh on an RBI single by Yhoswar Garcia and a big three-run homer by from Hao Yu Lee to make it 7-3. Lee continues to the lead the team with 22 runs knocked in on the season.
While right-hander Cam Wynne was able to work a scoreless eighth on the mound for Clearwater, the Tortugas stormed back against the righty in the ninth with four, two out runs to tie it 7-7.
Daytona scratched across the go-ahead run in the top of the tenth off right-hander Alex Garbrick, but the righty was able to limit the damage and secure a crucial double play ball to keep it 8-7. Garbrick was later credited with his second win of the season.
In the home half of the tenth, with an automatic runner placed on second base, Jamari Baylor crushed a game-tying double to make it 8-8 before Flores came through with another RBI double to give the Threshers a 9-8 walk-off victory, their third straight win in the series. Flores finished the game 3-for-4 with three RBI and one walk.
Clearwater and Daytona return to action on Saturday night in game four of the six-game set. Right-hander Andrew Painter is scheduled to start for the Threshers with first pitch set for 6:30 p.m. and coverage on the Threshers Broadcasting Network beginning at 6:20 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Florida State League message board...
Florida State League Stories from May 13, 2022
- Flores' Walk-Off Double Lifts Threshers over Tortugas, 9-8 - Clearwater Threshers
- Daytona Downed by Clearwater, 9-8, in 10 Innings - Daytona Tortugas
- Pitching Leads the Way as Mussels Sweep Doubleheader - Fort Myers Mighty Mussels
- Consuegra, Tilien Homer in Mets' 7-4 Win vs. Lakeland - St. Lucie Mets
- Marauders, Hammerheads Rained out Friday - Bradenton Marauders
- Tortugas Return Tuesday, May 17, with Margaritaville, Bark in the Park Nights on Schedule - Daytona Tortugas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Clearwater Threshers Stories
- Long Ball Lifts Threshers Past Tortugas, 8-0
- Threshers Blast by Tortugas 9-5 for Fourth Straight Win
- Flores' Walk-Off Double Lifts Threshers over Tortugas, 9-8
- Threshers Squeeze by Tortugas 4-2 for Second Straight Win
- Big Second Inning Pushes Threshers Past Tortugas, 8-4