Fireflies Game Notes: August 12 vs. Delmarva (Game 115)
Columbia Fireflies (18-29, 52-62) vs. Delmarva Shorebirds (24-23, 59-55)
RHP Nicholas Debora (3-3, 3.26) vs. RHP Jhon Peluffo (4-6, 5.87)
Sun., August 12, 2018 - Spirit Communications Park - First Pitch 2:05 p.m. - Game 115
LISTEN: Fox Sports Radio 1400 AM / ColumbiaFireflies.com / iHeartRadio App
ABOUT LAST GAME: David Miranda reached base four times on Saturday night at Spirit Communications Park. The 23-year-old singled twice and earned a pair of walks in a 7-1 loss to Delmarva. Luc Rennie made his sixth start of the season and completed six frames. The righty struck out six batters, allowed three runs, and only issued one walk.
IRON MAN: Matt Winaker will play in his team-leading 102nd game for the Fireflies on Sunday. The former Stanford product is inching closer to the franchise record, 125 games, set in both 2016 (Dash Winningham) and 2017 (Luis Carpio).
BASEMENT PRODUCTION: Through the first two contests of this series, Carlos Sanchez and David Miranda have been slotted 8th and 9th respectively in the lineup. The duo has combined for seven of the team's 10 hits and has scored five of the eight total runs against Delmarva.
STREAKIN': Winaker extended his on-base streak to 22 straight games with a hit by pitch on Saturday. The 22-year-old has hit .295 since July 19 (when the streak began) with 13 extra-base hits and 12 RBI.
STREAKIN' Pt. II: Winaker joins a lengthy list of Fireflies who have posted on-base streaks of 15 games or longer this season:
LONGEST ON-BASE STREAKS, 2018 FIREFLIES:
1. Jeremy Vasquez, 29* April 5-May 6
2. Raphael Gladu, 28 May 2-June 9
3. Matt Winaker, 22 July 19-pres
4. Blake Tiberi, 17 June 13-July 6
5. Scott Manea, 16 April 21-May 12
*franchise and 2018 SAL record
WE KNOW YOU GUYS!: St. Lucie throttled Clearwater 11-0 on Saturday night and many former Fireflies contributed to the shutout. 2017 Mets first round pick David Peterson delivered his best start at the Advanced-A level on Saturday. The southpaw tossed six innings, issued zero walks, and registered nine strikeouts. There were several bright spots on offense as well...
- Quinn Brodey: 3-4, 2B, HR, 6 RBI
- Michael Paez: 3-4, 3 R, RBI
- Gene Cone: 2-3, 3 R, BB
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from August 12, 2018
- Drive Defeat GreenJackets 5-2 on Sunday - Greenville Drive
- GreenJackets Slowed Down by Drive - Augusta GreenJackets
- Garcia, Two Relievers Combine on BlueClaws 23rd Shutout of Season - Lakewood BlueClaws
- Crawdads Fall to Lakewood 3-0 - Hickory Crawdads
- Sanmartin Delievers Quality Outing as RiverDogs Drop Second Straight - Charleston RiverDogs
- Banfield Homers Again as Hoppers Fall - Greensboro Grasshoppers
- T's Dominate 'Hoppers in Rain Shortened Game - Asheville Tourists
- Legends Not Intimidated by Evil Empire; Sweep Kannapolis in Doubleheader - Lexington Legends
- 'Flies Ding 'Birds in Tenth - Delmarva Shorebirds
- Venters Home Run Not Enough, Braves Fall 10-4 - Rome Braves
- Debora Spectacular, Rheams Wins It with Base Hit in 10th - Columbia Fireflies
- Double-Digit Offense Backs Stellar Cubilete in Win - West Virginia Power
- West Virginia Power: Game Notes (august 12) - West Virginia Power
- Fireflies Game Notes: August 12 vs. Delmarva (Game 115) - Columbia Fireflies
- Suns Win 4-3 in Late Comeback against Charleston Saturday - Hagerstown Suns
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.