Firebirds' Othmann to Play in Switzerland Until OHL Season Commences
Flint, Mich. - The Flint Firebirds announced today that forward Brennan Othmann has been granted a conditional temporary transfer, as a result of the COVID-19 virus, and will return to Flint once the 2020-21 Ontario Hockey League (OHL) season commences.
Othmann, 17, has dual citizenship in Canada and Switzerland and will play for the EHC Olten Power Mice in the Swiss League, the second tier of the main professional ice hockey league in Switzerland, behind the National League. Of note, Othmann's father (Gery) and uncle (Robert) also played in the Swiss League and Robert suited up for EHC Olten for five years.
The transfer will provide an opportunity for Othmann to stay in condition for the upcoming OHL season during his NHL Draft year. As per the agreement, the Firebirds will be in close contact with EHC Olten and will be monitoring Othmann's performance throughout his stay in Switzerland.
This past season, Othmann broke the Firebirds rookie franchise records for both goals (17) and points (33) in 55 games while also recording two game-winning goals with Flint during the 2019-20 OHL campaign. The Pickering, Ont., native was selected by the Firebirds with the second-overall pick in the 2019 OHL Priority Selection. The 6-foot, 178-pound forward was recognized as invitee to Canada's National Men's Summer Under-18 Team Selection Camp this year.
Othmann will wear number-78 for EHC Olten.
Under the new timelines, OHL Training Camps are scheduled to commence on Saturday, January 23 in preparation for the 2020-21 Regular Season that will feature a 40-game schedule running from Thursday, February 4 through Saturday, May 8. Teams will play primarily against opponents in their geographic region in an effort to reduce travel in consideration of the health and safety of all players and staff. Details concerning the structure of team alignment will be made available upon release of the 2020-21 OHL Regular Season schedule.
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from November 24, 2020
- Firebirds' Othmann to Play in Switzerland Until OHL Season Commences - Flint Firebirds
- Kitchener Rangers Announce Board of Directors and Executive Committee for 2020-21 - Kitchener Rangers
- Dylan Wells, Dave and Scott Roche Headline Thursday Night Live Week 10 Presented by Subway - Peterborough Petes
- Storm Thank Fans - Guelph Storm
- Sam Sedley Ready for Kia CHL ECup - Owen Sound Attack
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Flint Firebirds Stories
- Dellandrea Set to Make NHL Debut Tonight After Four Seasons in Flint
- Voice of Firebirds Hennig Tabbed by CCHA
- Voice of Firebirds Dominic Hennig Named Director of Strategic Communications & Brand Advancement of CCHA
- $2-Million Renovation Happening at Dort Financial Center
- Piercey to Face-Off vs. WHL's Lethbridge in Round 2 of Memorial ECup Presented by Kia Thursday