Fire Assigned a Hoya Quarterback
Louisville, KY-The Louisville Fire were recently assigned quarterback, Matt Bassuener (6'2,205, Georgetown University).
During Bassuener's senior season, he threw for 1,874 yards and completed 66.8% of his passes (211-316). He also added 308 yards rushing while accumulating 12 total touchdowns. In two games during the 2007 season he completed more than 76% of his passes (September 1 against Stony Brook, 76.9%, and October 20 versus Bucknell, 76.1). Bassuener ranked fourth in the conference in passing yards per game (170.4 yards/game) and total offense (2182 yards). He also played in the East Coast Bowl, which provides an opportunity for players from the Football Championship Subdivision Level, Division II, III, and NAIA to showcase their talent to football coaches and scouts from around the country.
Bassuener began his career at Georgetown in 2004 as a defensive back and in 2005 he saw action in every game on special teams. In 2006 Bassuener started the final seven games of the season after getting into the first three games in a reserve role. During this season he completed 68.9% of his passes (144-209) for 1,359 yards and 15 touchdowns. Bassuener threw for at least 150 yards in six games. He was named Patriot League Player of the Week when he came off of the bench against Columbia and completed 17-22 passing for 177 yards and three touchdowns. In the last game of the season he threw for 245 yards and three touchdowns.
"He is a young quarterback with a lot of potential to do good things for us," stated Head Coach Tommy Johnson when asked about Bassuener.
The Louisville Fire will kickoff the 2008 season against the Iowa Barnstormers on March 29. Season tickets for the 2008 Fire season are on sale now and can be purchased by calling 502.368.0009. Season ticket packages start at $72.
• Discuss this story on the arenafootball2 message board...
arenafootball2 Stories from February 14, 2008
- Yard Dawgz Team Up with JOX 930 - Oklahoma City Yard Dawgz
- Catch Yard Dawgz Arena Football Action Live on KSBI-TV/DT - Oklahoma City Yard Dawgz
- Blizzard Assigned Key Veterans - Green Bay Blizzard
- Boise Burn star linebacker Corey Dodds headed to AFL - Boise Burn
- Valentine's Day, Amarillo Dusters style - Amarillo Venom
- Sharks For Hire - Corpus Christi Sharks
- Peoria Pirates Name Dance Team - Peoria Pirates
- Fire Assigned a Hoya Quarterback - Louisville Fire
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.