NFL, MLB, CFL stats

FC Wins 3rd Straight

July 20, 2007 - USL First Division (USL-1) - Fort Lauderdale Strikers News Release

Miami, July 20, 2007 - Miami FC, now with a 7-10-2 record, won its third straight game beating the Carolina RailHawks (4-6-7) at Tropical Park Stadium. The Blues took advantage of a Carolina team that lost a key player at the end of the first half scoring two quick goals, and then holding off the RailHawks for a 2-1 victory.

Miami FC had the first chance of the game coming off an Eric Vasquez corner kick in the 8th minute. His kick found the head of the lengthy Cristiano Dias whose shot went directly at the goalie.

Carolina seemed to shift the momentum in their favor midway through the second half when midfielder Santiago Fusiller took a shot on goal. Fusiller was unable to get his entire leg behind the ball making for an easy stop for keeper Pat Hannigan.

The RailHawks continued to put pressure on the Blues defense with a flurry of opportunities starting in the 30th minute. Carolina's best chance came in the 33rd minute off a ball volley over the net by Fusiller. The RailHawks didn't let the missed opportunities slow them down with more shots on goal coming in the 36th minute. Solid defense by Miami FC and heads up play by Hannigan shut the rally down.

Miami FC's relentless defense frustrated the RailHawks into committing bad fouls. The worse of them came right before the half when Carolina's midfielder Philip Kutsu tackled Dias from behind earning himself a red card and an ejection from the game.

Miami FC and Carolina entered the half tied at nil, but the Blues had the clear advantage up a man. Miami FC would take advantage of the extra man with poise and confidence as they entered the second half determined to put a ball in the back of the net.

On the 49th minute, Miami FC midfielder Sean Cameron unrelentingly forced his way down the left side of the field 50 yards before touching it to a passing Sean Fraser. Fraser tapped the ball back with a heel pass to Cameron who found only the opposing keeper between himself and the go-ahead goal. Cameron got his entire foot behind the ball kicking it past the right side of the goalie putting Miami FC up 1-0.

Miami FC continued to put pressure on the RailHawks with a second goal coming two minutes later off the foot of Zinho. Miami FC went up 2-0 after 51 minutes of play.

A few minutes later Cameron worked his way down the left sideline again to find a wide open Fraser directly in front of the goal. Fraser's kick sailed just over the crossbar. This was just the beginning of a flurry of chances created by Miami FC.

Miami FC's defense was also superb during this run led by diving save by Hannigan who kept the game at 2-0. The Blues controlled the ball and the middle of the field for most of the second half.

Carolina was able to get on the score board late with a goal by Frankie Sanfilippo coming off a corner kick. Sanfilippo got a red card and was ejected a few minutes later, one minute before stoppage time.

Miami FC next home game is Sunday July 22nd at Tropical Park Stadium against the California Victory. The Blues will play the RailHawks again on Saturday July 28th. This should be a very heated match up, especially how this last game ended with two RailHawks being ejected.

• Discuss this story on the USL First Division message board...

USL First Division Stories from July 20, 2007

The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.

Other Recent Fort Lauderdale Strikers Stories

Sports Statistics from the Stats Crew
OurSports Central