FC Tulsa Hold off the Board in Loss to Austin Bold FC
TULSA - A night of 918 celebrations turned sour at ONEOK Field as FC Tulsa was held scoreless for the second time at home in 2021 with a 1-0 loss to Austin Bold FC on Saturday night. The loss broke a six-match unbeaten streak for Tulsa and keeps the club in third place in the Central Division.
Despite holding three-quarters of the possession, FC Tulsa was unable to capitalize and was held without a significant scoring chance throughout the 90 minutes.
Austin took advantage of the only moment in an uneventful first half, striking on its opening salvo of the match, a free kick placed just outside the box 10 minutes into the first half. Fabien Garcia's set piece deflected off the top of the Tulsa wall and the inside of the left post to give Bold FC the lead. It was the first time since August 14 that FC Tulsa has not scored first in a match, a six-match run.
Meanwhile, FC Tulsa's potent attack was held in check through the opening 45 minutes with none of those four shots forcing a save from Bold FC.
Unfortunately for Tulsa, the second 45 was more of the same. Austin was content to sit in and defend, and despite Tulsa holding 76% of possession throughout the second half, there was no getting through the Bold backline on Saturday night.
FC Tulsa will go back on the road on Friday night to play Sporting Kansas City II at Children's Mercy Park.
11' ATX - Fabien Garcia
SCORELESS AT HOME
A rarity occured on Saturday night as FC Tulsa was held scoreless for the second time at home in 2021 and for just the third time in the last two seasons. Heading into tonight, FC Tulsa had averaged more than two goals a match at ONEOK Field, bagging 23 goals over 11 previous home matches.
GOOD RESULTS AROUND THE CENTRAL
While FC Tulsa didn't get the result it wanted on Saturday at ONEOK, it did have luck elsewhere in the Central Division. Birmingham Legion FC only gained one point in a draw against OKC Energy FC while Indy Eleven and Atlanta United 2 suffered losses, maintaining the gap to FC Tulsa in third. With Austin being an out-of-division opponent, the points earned by the Bold at ONEOK Field don't hurt FC Tulsa in the standings.
MAGIC NUMBER UPDATE
The home stretch is officially upon FC Tulsa as there are just eight USL Championship matches left in the regular season, four home and four away. FC Tulsa will play each of the five Central Division teams below it in the standings, Memphis twice, and will play two more out of division matches, at home against El Paso and on the road at San Antonio FC. There are 24 points on the board and FC Tulsa's "Magic Number" is now at 16.
CENTRAL DIVISION STANDINGS UPDATE
Team Matches Played Record (W-L-D) Points
Louisville City FC 24 14-5-5 47
Birmingham Legion FC 24 12-7-5 41
FC Tulsa 24 12-10-2 39
OKC Energy FC 25 7-8-10 31
Indy Eleven 24 8-11-5 29
Atlanta United 2 25 7-10-8 29
Memphis 901 FC 21 6-8-7 25
Sporting KC II 25 4-14-7 19
FC Tulsa goes on the road for its final matchup of the season against Sporting Kansas City II on Friday, September 24 at Children's Mercy Park. FC Tulsa has taken six of a possible nine points so far against the last place team in the Central Division.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from September 18, 2021
- Rgv FC Fall to Colorado - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Miami Rallies, Battery Hold on for Draw - Miami FC
- FC Tulsa Hold off the Board in Loss to Austin Bold FC - FC Tulsa
- Milestone Night for Guenzatti, Rowdies Defense in Atlanta Victory - Tampa Bay Rowdies
- Atlanta United 2 Falls 2-0 vs. Tampa Bay Rowdies - Atlanta United 2
- Charlotte Independence Earn Third Straight Shutout with a 1-0 Victory over Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC - Charlotte Independence
- Vice-Captain Karl Ouimette Becomes Third Player in Indy Eleven to Appear in 100 Matches in Rivalry Affair - Indy Eleven
- Hoppenot Stars in Another LouCity Win at Indy Eleven - Louisville City FC
- Match Report: Bijev's Goal Helps Greens to Road Point at Birmingham - OKC Energy FC
- Unbeaten Run Ended by Late Charlotte Goal; Hounds Fall 1-0 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Memphis Ready for Atlantic Division Test - Memphis 901 FC
- SD Loyal Back Home for Week 22 Pacific Division Affair - San Diego Loyal
- 3 Things: #CLTvPIT - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Oakland Roots vs. LA Galaxy II Match Notes - Oakland Roots
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent FC Tulsa Stories
- Preview: FC Tulsa at San Antonio FC, Saturday, October 16, 7:30 p.m.
- FC Tulsa to Hold College Night at ONEOK Field on Wednesday, October 20
- OPSM Pro Combine Headed to Tulsa in December
- FC Tulsa Falls to El Paso
- Preview: FC Tulsa vs. El Paso Locomotive FC, Saturday, 7 p.m. CT, ONEOK Field