FC Montreal Falls 3-2 to New York Red Bulls 2
HARRISON, NJ - FC Montreal gave up two goals in the second half, falling 3-2 to the New York Red Bulls 2 Sunday evening, at Red Bull Arena.
New York opened the scoring early, when Derrick Etienne beat defender John Dinkota on the left side of goal, before passing the ball to Anatole Abang in front of the net, who simply pushed it across the goal line in the 13th minute.
Montreal equalised right away. After a long clearance, Impact forward Romario Williams deflected the ball behind him with his head. The Red Bulls goalkeeper came charging out of his net, but winger Frédéric Lajoie-Gravelle beat him to the loose ball before finding himself in front of an open goal to make it 1-1 in the 21tst minute.
In the 48th minute, Shawn McLaws pushed forward down the right flank, before passing into the box. Unfortunately, FC Montreal defender Zachary Sukunda redirected the ball into his own net while attempting to intercept the pass.
In the 68th minute, Etienne added one for New York, a one-timer from inside the box on a cross by Anthony Wallace.
At the end of the game, the Bleu-blanc-noir tried everything to get a result. Winger Alessandro Riggi was all alone facing the keeper after a through ball by midfielder Zakaria Messoudi. He chipped the ball in the 81st minute to bring his team back to within one goal.
"We fought until the end," said midfielder Marco Dominguez. "The substitutes performed well to help us stay in the game by scoring the second goal."
Unfortunately, FC Montreal wasn't able to find a third. In stoppage time, midfielder Nazim Belguendouz was shown a red card.
"It was the best team we played against since the beginning of the season," said head coach Philippe Eullaffroy. "It was a really good soccer game. Despite the loss, we remain positive because we kept respecting our principles until the end."
The next FC Montreal game will be played away against the Rochester Rhinos on Saturday, May 30, at 7:05pm at Sahlen's Stadium.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from May 24, 2015
- STL FC Battles to Draw with Louisville - Saint Louis FC
- FC Montreal Falls 3-2 to New York Red Bulls 2 - FC Montreal
- Hometown Boys Lead WFC2 to First Home Win - Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2
- Roughnecks Cap Eventful Trip with 3rd Straight Win - FC Tulsa
- Austin Aztex Fall to Tulsa Roughnecks 1-0 - Austin Aztex
- Oklahoma City Energy FC wins over Sacramento Republic FC - Sacramento Republic FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent FC Montreal Stories
- FC Montreal Loses 3-1 in Its Last Game of the Season against Harrisburg
- FC Montreal Ends 2016 USL Season this Saturday against Harrisburg
- FC Montreal Loses 4-0 against the Red Bulls
- FC Montreal Visits Red Bulls II on Saturday
- FC Montreal Hosts the Charleston Battery this Wednesday