FC Cincinnati Sign Costa Rica International Midfielder Allan Cruz to a Multi-Year Contract Extension
CINCINNATI - FC Cincinnati have signed midfielder Allan Cruz to a multi-year contract extension using Targeted Allocation Money (TAM). The Costa Rican emerged as one of FC Cincinnati's most dynamic players and scored a team-high seven goals in 2019. With a new contract in place, Cruz is now classified as a TAM player on FC Cincinnati's roster.
"We are delighted to sign Allan Cruz to a contract extension," FC Cincinnati General Manager Gerard Nijkamp said. "When Allan gets the ball, he provides creativity for us in the final third. While he is still a developing player, who we believe will continue to improve, we think his playmaking ability is a great quality to have on our team."
"First of all, I am grateful to God for giving me this opportunity to be here in Cincinnati. I am happy. I am glad to extend my contract with Cincinnati," Cruz said via a translator. "Now, I hope that next season we do things right for the fans. We have to prove that what happened to us this season isn't what we wanted, but god-willing, everything will come out to plan next season."
"Primero, agradecido con dios con esta oportunidad de estar aquÃ en Cincinnati. Feliz. Contento de renovar con Cincinnati," dijo Cruz. "Ahora, espero la otra temporada que nosotros hagamos las cosas bien para la aficiÃ³n. Demostrar lo que nos paso este torneo no fue lo que querÃamos, pero el otro torneo, dios primero, todo nos va salir bien."
Cruz, 23, made 22 appearances, including 21 starts, for the Orange and Blue in the club's first MLS season. The midfielder scored his first MLS goal in spectacular fashion as his backheeled effort gave FC Cincinnati a multi-goal lead in their first-ever MLS match at Nippert Stadium on March 17. At the conclusion of the 2019 MLS regular season, Cruz was named team MVP and was voted FCC Players' Player of the Year.
The midfielder made MLS history this season by recording multiple first-minute goals when he became just the second player in MLS history to accomplish the feat and the first since 1996. Of his seven goals in 2019, four were scored within the first 10 minutes of a match.
Cruz has also been a regular selection for the Costa Rica National Team - including all 11 of the nation's 2019 contests. The midfielder has made 17 appearances, including 16 starts, has scored two goals and has added one assist with Costa Rica. In his first appearance in a major international competition - the 2019 Concacaf Gold Cup - Cruz scored a goal and added an assist against Nicaragua on June 16.
FC Cincinnati will return to the field in early 2020 for their second MLS season. Season Ticket Memberships for the 2020 season are now on sale to the general public at fccincinnati.com/tickets or by calling 513-977-5425 (KICK). A 2020 Season Ticket Membership also secures fans' place on the club's priority list, which will be utilized when sales begin in the new West End Stadium for the 2021 season.
Transaction: FC Cincinnati signed midfielder Allan Cruz to a contract extension using Targeted Allocation Money on Nov. 7, 2019.
#15 ALLAN CRUZ
Birthdate: February 24, 1996
Birthplace: Nicoya, Costa Rica
Hometown: Nicoya, Costa Rica
Last Club: CS Herediano (CRC)
Nationality: Costa Rica
MLS Roster Status: International Player
How Acquired: Via transfer from CS Herediano on Jan. 18, 2019
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from November 7, 2019
- Seattle Filled with Sounders Spirit Ahead of Hosting Historic MLS Cup Final on Sunday - Seattle Sounders FC
- Real Salt Lake Quartet Invited to U.S. U-23 National Team Camp - Real Salt Lake
- FC Cincinnati Sign Costa Rica International Midfielder Allan Cruz to a Multi-Year Contract Extension - FC Cincinnati
- Seven Philadelphia Union Players Receive International Call-Ups - Philadelphia Union
- Jeremy Ebobisse Named to U.S. U-23 Men's National Team Roster - Portland Timbers
- Nashville SC Hosting MLS Expansion Draft Party at Ole Red Nashville on Broadway - Nashville SC
- Eight Loons Called up to National Teams - Minnesota United FC
- D.C. United Announce Postseason Tour Presented by Events DC in St. Croix in the U.S. Virgin Islands - D.C. United
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent FC Cincinnati Stories
- FC Cincinnati Add Four Players in 2021 MLS SuperDraft, Select Calvin Harris with Second Overall Pick
- FC Cincinnati Acquire International Roster Spot from Nashville SC
- FC Cincinnati Sign Free Agent Goalkeeper Cody Cropper
- FC Cincinnati Sign Winger Ben Mines
- FC Cincinnati Acquire Costa Rica International Defender Ronald Matarrita from New York City FC