FC Cincinnati Re-Sign Four Players
CINCINNATI - FC Cincinnati have re-signed four players ahead of the 2021 MLS regular season. Winger Joseph-Claude Gyau, defender Nick Hagglund, midfielder Caleb Stanko and goalkeeper PrzemysÅaw TytoÅ have all signed new contracts with the Orange and Blue. Following the four signings, FC Cincinnati now have 19 total players under contract ahead of next season.
"We look forward to having all four players back on our roster for the next MLS season," General Manager Gerard Nijkamp said. "Even though we did not exercise their player options, we identified each of these four players as good fits for the team that we are building. We look forward to adding to our roster in the coming months ahead of the new season."
Gyau, 28, made 21 appearances, including 20 starts, scoring one goal in his first full season with FC Cincinnati. A regular selection in the starting lineup, Gyau scored his first goal as an FC Cincinnati player in the season finale at Inter Miami CF on Nov. 8. In total, Gyau has made 29 appearances for FC Cincinnati since joining the club on Aug. 8, 2019.
Hagglund, 28, made 11 appearances, including eight starts, scoring one goal for the Orange and Blue this season. After featuring only once through FCC's first 10 matches, Hagglund emerged as a key component of FC Cincinnati's backline appearing in 10 of the club's final 13 matches. A two-time team of the week selection, Hagglund was named to MLSsoccer.com's weekly team for his performances in Weeks 12 and 18. The Cincinnati native has made 33 appearances with Orange and Blue in two seasons with FC Cincinnati.
Stanko, 27, made 13 appearances, including five starts, in his second season with FC Cincinnati. The midfielder started in each of FC Cincinnati's two wins during the MLS is Back Tournament. Stanko has recorded 36 career appearances with Orange and Blue since joining the club from Bundesliga side SC Freiburg on Jan. 23, 2019.
TytoÅ, 33, made 12 starts and recorded an FC Cincinnati single-season high five shutouts this season. The goalkeeper seized the starting role prior to the MLS is Back Tournament and remained the Orange and Blue's primary keeper until suffering an injury on Oct. 11 against Toronto FC. The ZamoÅÄ, Poland, native has made 27 starts and has recorded eight shutouts with FCC in two seasons with the club.
The MLS roster freeze will be lifted on Dec. 13, the day after MLS Cup, for a half-day trade window (9 a.m.-1 p.m. ET), followed by a blackout period before the 2020 MLS Expansion Draft on Dec. 15. FC Cincinnati will be exempt from the 2020 MLS Expansion Draft following Inter Miami CF's selection of Alvas Powell in the 2019 MLS Expansion Draft.
FC Cincinnati's current roster headed into 2021, listed alphabetically by position, is below:
Goalkeepers (3): Ben Lundt, Beckham Sunderland, PrzemysÅaw TytoÅ
Defenders (5): Saad Abdul-Salaam, Zico Bailey, Nick Hagglund Tom Pettersson, Maikel van der Werff
Midfielders (8): Frankie Amaya, Alvaro Barreal, Allan Cruz, Joseph-Claude-Gyau, Yuya Kubo, Haris Medunjanin, Kamohelo Mokotjo, Caleb Stanko
Forwards (3): Franko KovaÄeviÄ, Jürgen Locadia, Brandon Vazquez
TRANSACTION: FC Cincinnati re-signed winger Joseph-Claude Gyau, defender Nick Hagglund, midfielder Caleb Stanko and goalkeeper PrzemysÅaw TytoÅ on Dec. 2, 2020.
For up-to-the-minute information about FC Cincinnati, visit the team's official website at fccincinnati.com, or follow the team on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook at @FCCincinnati. Additionally, fans are encouraged to download the team's official mobile app on the Apple App Store or Google Play for instant access to mobile tickets, team content and match notifications.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 2, 2020
- Real Salt Lake Announces Coaching Staff Decisions - Real Salt Lake
- Earthquakes Midfielder Jackson Yueill Added to USMNT Camp - San Jose Earthquakes
- Earthquakes Sign Tommy Thompson to New Multi-Year Contract - San Jose Earthquakes
- Orlando City Exercises Options on 12 Players Following 2020 MLS Campaign - Orlando City SC
- Nashville SC Announces Off-Season Roster Moves - Nashville SC
- Orlando City SC Forward Dom Dwyer to Enter Free Agency - Orlando City SC
- Nashville SC Proud and Determined After 2020 Season Ends in Columbus - Nashville SC
- Preview: Sporting to Host Minnesota on Thursday in Conference Semifinals - Sporting Kansas City
- Columbus Crew SC to Host the New England Revolution in the Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs Eastern Conference Final this Sunday - Columbus Crew SC
- Minnesota United FC vs. Sporting Kansas City Preview - Minnesota United FC
- FC Cincinnati Re-Sign Four Players - FC Cincinnati
- Columbus Crew SC Provides COVID-19 Testing Update - Columbus Crew SC
- Philadelphia Union Exercise 2021 Options on Seven Players - Philadelphia Union
- Philadelphia Union Sign Forward Cory Burke to New Contract - Philadelphia Union
- Sounders FC Advances to MLS Western Conference Championship with 1-0 Win over FC Dallas - Seattle Sounders FC
- FC Dallas Falls 1-0 to Seattle Sounders in Western Conference Semifinals - FC Dallas
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent FC Cincinnati Stories
- FC Cincinnati Add Four Players in 2021 MLS SuperDraft, Select Calvin Harris with Second Overall Pick
- FC Cincinnati Acquire International Roster Spot from Nashville SC
- FC Cincinnati Sign Free Agent Goalkeeper Cody Cropper
- FC Cincinnati Sign Winger Ben Mines
- FC Cincinnati Acquire Costa Rica International Defender Ronald Matarrita from New York City FC