FB/LB Chad Cook and OL Mark Lewis Earn All-Arena Recognition
SAN JOSE, CA - The SaberCats are proud to announce FB/LB Chad Cook and OL Mark Lewis have been named second-team All-Arena for the 2011 season. It marks the first time both players have been named All-Arena.
"Mark and Chad were big parts of our offense in our return to the AFL this season," said Owner/Head Coach Darren Arbet. "We wouldn't have been as strong on the offensive side of the ball without these two and we are happy they are getting the recognition they deserve."
Cook (6-1, 263, Murray State) started in all 18 games as a part of an offensive attack that finished first in the league after averaging 322.2 yards per contest. He broke several San Jose records including rushing attempts (99) rushing yards (294) and rushing touchdowns (30) in a season while leading the team in scoring (198). His 30 rushing touchdowns ranked second in the AFL behind All-Arena first-team selection FB Derrick Ross. A threat in the receiving game, Cook also broke franchise records by a fullback with 34 receptions for 368 yards. In a July 1 contest against the Jacksonville Sharks, he became the only SaberCats' fullback to ever post two touchdown receptions of over 25 yards including the longest touchdown reception in team history by a fullback (34). He joined the SaberCats after spending his rookie season split between the Tampa Bay Storm and the Oklahoma City Yard Dawgz in 2010. He has totaled 144 rushes for 434 yards and 38 touchdowns in his career to go along with 49 receptions for 474 yards and four touchdowns.
Lewis (6-3, 300, Oregon) was the only San Jose offensive lineman to start in all 18 games, splitting time at all three spots including seven games at center while contributing on special teams in his rookie season. Lewis led all SaberCats offensive linemen with 11 receptions for 167 yards and four touchdowns while the San Jose line allowed only 22 sacks on the season, ranking among the top five in the AFL.
• Discuss this story on the Arena Football League message board...
Arena Football League Stories from August 11, 2011
- Barnstormers Schmidt Earns All-AFL Honor - Iowa Barnstormers
- Davila Named National Guard MVP of the Year - AFL
- Ranglin Named All-Arena - Kansas City Command
- Dukes and McGill Earn All-Arena Honors - Tampa Bay Storm
- Blaze Pair Earns All-AFL Honors - Utah Blaze
- Three Chicago Rush Players Earn All-AFL Honors - Chicago Rush
- Predators Kizer, Moye-Moore Earn All-Arena Team Selections - Orlando Predators
- FB/LB Chad Cook and OL Mark Lewis Earn All-Arena Recognition - San Jose SaberCats
- Soul Receiver Morgan Named 2nd Team All-Arena - Philadelphia Soul
- Local Hooters to Host Arenabowl XXIV Watch Party - Jacksonville Sharks
- Two Gladiators Receive All-Arena Recognition - Cleveland Gladiators
- Sharks' Garcia Headlines 2011 All-Arena Team - AFL
- Carlos Martinez Named NAPA Kicker of the Year - Georgia Force
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.