Fast Start Fails to Propel B-Sens Past Pens
WILKES-BARRE, P.A. - The Binghamton Senators failed to hold a 1-0 lead after 20 minutes of play as they fell on the road to the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins.
The B-Sens played a solid opening 20 minutes outshooting their host Penguins 11-5 while taking a 1-0 lead into the first intermission. Matt Puempel extended his point-scoring streak to six-straight games with his 12th goal of the year 6:57 into the period. Chris Driedger, who made his third consecutive start in net for Binghamton, survived a late rush by the Penguins in the period to keep the score 1-0 B-Sens.
The Penguins came storming back in the middle frame, notching a pair of goals in the opening 2:22 to take a 2-1 lead. Wilkes-Barre/Scranton's Dominik Uher redirected a shot from Reid McNeill past Driedger 1:25 into the frame before Sahir Gill wristed home his third strike of the year less than one minute later. The Penguins took the 2-1 lead into the final intermission break outshooting the B-Sens 13-12.
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton outshot Binghamton 11-9 over the final period adding two goals in the process en route to a 4-1 win. Tom Kostopoulos increased the Penguins lead to 3-1 7:36 into the third period before Uher added his second on the night on a B-Sens empty net to move the final score to 4-1.
Murray finished with 32 saves on 33 shots faced while Driedger dropped his second straight allowing three goals on 27 shots faced.
Binghamton is back on home ice for back-to-back games beginning Friday, January 8, when they host the Utica Comets before facing off against the Rochester Americans on Saturday with both games set to begin at 7:05p.m. Fans can purchase tickets by calling the B-Sens Executive Office Wednesday and Thursday from 9:00a.m. - 5:30p.m. or Friday and Saturday from 8:00a.m. - the game's second intermission. Fans can also purchase tickets through the Arena Box Office and all Ticketmaster outlets during normal business hours by visiting www.ticketmaster.com or at 1-800-745-3000.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 5, 2016
- Reign Outshine Stars in 3-2 OT Victory - Ontario Reign
- Admirals Tripped up by Monsters - Milwaukee Admirals
- Monsters Snap Road Skid with 4-0 Win over Admirals - Cleveland Monsters
- Third Line Elevates Wilkes-Barre/Scranton to 4-1 Win - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Fast Start Fails to Propel B-Sens Past Pens - Binghamton Senators
- Condors Host MMA Superstar Cowboy Cerrone and Star Wars Night this Weekend - Bakersfield Condors
- SJ Barracuda Stock Rising in Pacific Division - San Jose Barracuda
- Predators Sign Gaudreau to Entry-Level Deal - Milwaukee Admirals
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- More Than 30 Amerks Alumni Scheduled to Attend 60th Anniversary Game Friday, January 8 - Rochester Americans
- Phantoms Weekly - Phantoms Return to PPL Center this Friday, Sunday - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Wolves Recall Blain from Brampton - Chicago Wolves
- Texas Stars Weekly Update - Texas Stars
- Brandon Alderson Reassigned to Reading Royals - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Star Wars Night Highlights Busy Weekend for B-Sens - Binghamton Senators
- Ontario Reign Game Preview: Reign and Stars Fight over Pacific Division Points Tonight - Ontario Reign
- Weekly: Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Kicks off 2016 with Two Convincing Wins - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Hoggan Named Playing Captain for 2016 Toyota AHL All-Star Classic - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Mike Angelidis, Jeff Hoggan Named Playing Captains for 2016 Toyota AHL All-Star Classic - Syracuse Crunch
- Angelidis, Hoggan Named Playing Captains for 2016 Toyota AHL All-Star Classic - AHL
- Red Wings Assign Nosek to Griffins - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rampage Announce 2015-16 Television Schedule - San Antonio Rampage
- Bears Sign Cam Reid to Professional Tryout - Hershey Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.