Falcons Sign Howes To Contract
Springfield, Mass. - The Springfield Falcons, AHL affiliate of the NHL's Columbus Blue Jackets, announced on Thursday they have released left wing Scott Howes from his professional try-out (PTO) and signed him to a standard players contract (SPC) for the remainder of the 2012-2013 season.
Howes, who was signed by Springfield from the CHL's Allen Americans on Jan. 3, has scored goals in each of the last three games while playing in a total of five contests for the Falcons.
A fifth-year pro, Howes is a former ECHL Kelly Cup Playoffs MVP, leading the Alaska Aces with 19 points (7g-12a) in the 2011 postseason on their way to capturing the league's championship.
Howes led the Americans at the time that he signed with the Falcons with 35 points and 21 goals while also adding 14 assists. In 2011-2012, the Toronto native skated in 49 contests with the Bridgeport Sound Tigers, accumulating 11 goals and 11 assists for 22 points after beginning the year with the Aces. Prior to helping guide the Aces to the Kelly Cup title, Howes posted 58 points (22g-36a) in 59 games with Alaska during the 2010-2011 campaign. In two seasons with the ECHL's Victoria Salmon Kings from 2008 through 2010, Howes collected 48 points (22g-26a) in 86 contests. He participated in five games with the Manitoba Moose, now the St. John's IceCaps, in 2008-2009.
Howes has garnered 171 points (81g-90a) in 235 professional games in the AHL, ECHL, and CHL combined.
Prior to turning pro, Howes played two seasons in the QMJHL from 2006 through 2008, gathering 118 points (68g-50a) in 113-career outings with the Drummondville Voltigeurs and Saint John Sea Dogs. He led the Sea Dogs with 42 goals in 59 games during the 2007-2008 season and paced the club with 26 points and 15 goals in 14 contests in that year's QMJHL Playoffs.
The Falcons return from the All-Star break when they take on the Syracuse Crunch in a highly-anticipated matchup on Friday at the MassMutual Center. Springfield and Syracuse have two of the AHL's top three records entering the 17th week of the 2012-2013 campaign.
Friday's game at the MassMutual Center is "Pride Stations & Stores Night at The Nest," and fans can purchase discounted tickets to the game by visiting Pride's Facebook page at Facebook.com/PrideStores. Fans in attendance on Friday will also have the opportunity to win a brand new, high-definition television courtesy of Manny's TV & Appliances as part of "Flat-Screen Friday."
Single-game tickets to see the Falcons in 2012-2013 can be purchased at the MassMutual Center Box Office from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday, 10 a.m. through game time on Saturday home dates, and starting four hours prior to Sunday home contests. Fans can also purchase tickets by logging onto Ticketmaster.com. For information about discounted group packages to Falcons home games, call (413) 739-GOAL (4625).
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 31, 2013
- Sound Tigers Fall to P-Bruins 3-2 in Shootout - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Third-Period Scoring Lifts Monsters to Top of Division - Cleveland Monsters
- Checkers Get Late Winner in OKC - Charlotte Checkers
- Heat Lose to Monsters in First of Two in Cleveland - Abbotsford Heat
- Bruins Quiet Sound Tigers in Shootout - Providence Bruins
- Rampage Announce Roster Moves - San Antonio Rampage
- Hogs Acquire Mathieu Beaudoin, LeBlanc Dealt - Rockford IceHogs
- Oilers Recall Anton Lander; Assign Paajarvi to OKC - Oklahoma City Barons
- Forward Peter LeBlanc Acquired for Mathieu Beaudoin - Hershey Bears
- Hamilton Bulldogs Sign Joey Tenute to AHL Contract - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Forward Casey Wellman Acquired in Trade - Hershey Bears
- Florida Panthers Acquire Zach Hamill - San Antonio Rampage
- Griffins Sign Skinner to Tryout - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Fewer Than 1,000 Tickets Remain for Pink in the Rink - San Antonio Rampage
- Phantoms Sign Veteran Jon Sim - Adirondack Phantoms
- Falcons Sign Howes To Contract - Springfield Falcons
- Penguins to Auction AHL Outdoor Classic Jerseys Online - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Hogs Add Gilbert, Mills - Rockford IceHogs
- Preview vs Lake Erie & Grand Rapids - Abbotsford Heat
- B-Sens Announce Roster Moves - Binghamton Senators
- Della Rovere and Nigro Assigned to IceMen - Peoria Rivermen
- Barons Release Kane Lafranchise from PTO - Oklahoma City Barons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.