F Shane Walsh Is Latest Royals Addition
Reading, PA - The Reading Royals, proud ECHL affiliate of the Philadelphia Flyers and Lehigh Valley Phantoms, agreed Tuesday to a 2018-19 ECHL contract with forward Shane Walsh. He is the ninth player to sign with the Royals this offseason. The 26-year-old native of West Roxbury, MA split last season between Cincinnati (11 GP) and Greenville (33 GP), scoring seven goals and 22 points. Walsh skated for Utah, Cincinnati and Greenville in his first two professional seasons.
"I'm excited to be coming to a first-class organization and I've heard nothing but great things about the fan base and staff," Walsh said. "I'm looking forward to arriving in town and getting to work."
"We saw a lot of positives out of Shane as a rookie and when he joined Greenville last season," said Head Coach Kirk MacDonald. "We are looking to help him continue his positive growth and feel he can be a contributor in Reading.
Updated Royals Roster
Forwards: #14 Adam Schmidt, #21 Frankie DiChiara, #24 Bo Pieper, #29 Jack Riley, #77 Shane Walsh
Defensemen: #4 Nick Neville, #6 Dan Milan, #7 Adam Larkin, #11 Charlie Vasaturo
A late-season offensive burst catapulted Walsh with Greenville last season. The Swamp Rabbits acquired him in Jan. 2018 from the Cyclones for future considerations. He scored five goals and 14 points over the season's final month and a half (18 GP).
As a rookie, Walsh accumulated 19 goals and 45 points in 71 games split between Utah and Cincinnati. For his ECHL career, Walsh has skated in 115 games, scoring 26 goals and 67 points.
The UMass-Amherst graduate skated at the NCAA level from 2012-16. As a senior, Walsh led the Minutemen with 30 points (18G) in 36 games. Among notable achievements, he scored the game winning goal in the 5th overtime of a 4-3 victory against Notre Dame to complete the longest game in NCAA Division I college history on Mar. 7, 2015. Walsh played in 133 games and tallied 36 goals and 67 points for UMass.
Season tickets and mini-plans are on sale by calling 610-898-7825 (PUCK).
First Home Game Oct. 13
The Royals will open the 2018-19 regular season at Santander Arena on Sat., Oct. 13 at 7:00 p.m. vs. the Worcester Railers. The home opener will feature a special Block Party and "Red Carpet" presentation for the team.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from August 7, 2018
- All-Star Parizek Returning to Steelheads - Idaho Steelheads
- Labbe Brings Experience to Thunder Blueline - Wichita Thunder
- Pair of Rookies Join IceMen Roster - Jacksonville IceMen
- Opening Night Tickets and Premium Giveaway Packages Go on Sale Wednesday - Toledo Walleye
- Thunder Adds Jordan McNaughton to Roster - Adirondack Thunder
- F Shane Walsh Is Latest Royals Addition - Reading Royals
- Spiros Anastas Named Stingrays Head Coach - South Carolina Stingrays
- Forwards Breton, Freschi Re-Sign with Mavericks - Kansas City Mavericks
- Thomas Named Cyclones Head Coach - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Goaltender Garrett Bartus Inks Deal with Swamp Rabbits - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Reading Royals Stories
- Royals Home Friday and Saturday; Five Games to Go
- Brayden Low's Game-Winning Snipe Propels Royals Past Railers, 4-1
- Sunday Afternoon Home Showdown Pits Royals and Railers
- Royals Tie Longest Shootout in Team History in 3-2 Loss to Newfoundland
- The Anthony Myers Movement Launches at Royals Home Game Saturday vs. Newfoundland