European Rugby Player of the Year Announces Commitment to Play in Major League Rugby for San Diego Legion
San Diego, CA. - San Diego Legion, a Major League Rugby franchise, announced its first new player signing for the 2020 season in superstar England representative and former European Player of the Year, Steffon Armitage. Armitage has had an illustrious career to date including international honors for England (2009 - 11) and 300+ professional games in England and France, winning 3 European Cup Championships titles.
"I'm excited to play in the fastest growing rugby competition in the world," said Armitage. "San Diego has a very strong team and fantastic culture and I look forward to becoming part of the Legion with hopes of delivering America's Finest City the MLR title in 2020." 2019 MLR Coach of the Year and San Diego Legion Head Coach, Rob Hoadley, added "Steffon is a world class player who has proven himself to be one of the greats in the European club game. We are incredibly excited to have him join San Diego Legion in 2020. His talent and leadership will be a perfect addition to the Legion organization."
Armitage will be joining the team at the commencement of pre-season training this December. As the first player announcement of the season, the Legion plan to announce the remainder of its 2020 squad over the next few weeks.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Rugby message board...
Major League Rugby Stories from July 9, 2019
- European Rugby Player of the Year Announces Commitment to Play in Major League Rugby for San Diego Legion - San Diego Legion
- NBCÂ SportsÂ GoldÂ toÂ BroadcastÂ Pacific Nations Cup 2019 - MLR
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Diego Legion Stories
- European Rugby Player of the Year Announces Commitment to Play in Major League Rugby for San Diego Legion
- SD Legion Wins 17-13 over Defending MLR Champions Seattle SeaWolves
- San Diego Legion Secures a Spot in the Inaugural Major League Rugby Playoffs
- San Diego Legion to Host Season Finale
- San Diego's Major League Rugby Team Plays Home Opener on April 29