Ernesto Mejia Named International League Rookie of the Year
LAWRENCEVILLE, GA - Gwinnett Braves first baseman Ernesto Mejia has been named the International League Rookie of the Year as well as the Postseason All-Star first baseman for the 2012 season, announced on Tuesday, August 28 by the league office. Mejia is the third-straight G-Brave to win the award for the IL's top rookie, joining first baseman Freddie Freeman (2010) and pitcher Julio Teheran (2011).
Mejia, 26, established himself as one of the premier hitters for power and average in the IL this season. Entering play on Tuesday, the Guanare, Venezuela native ranked first in the circuit in RBI (91), hits (148) and total bases (253), second in slugging percentage (.517) and at-bats (489), tied for second in home runs (24), third in extra-base hits (56), fourth in OPS (.871), fifth in runs scored (72) and tied for sixth in both doubles (31) and games played (126). His season accolades include the IL's Batter of the Week award on May 21 and his first Triple-A All-Star Game selection.
Mejia's numbers are not only among the league's best, they are also challenging Gwinnett Braves' franchise records. Mejia's 91 RBIs are tied alongside Stefan Gartrell (2011) for the most in one season since the team's arrival to Lawrenceville in 2009. He's currently one home run shy of tying Gartrell's record of 25 blasts, also set in 2011. His 148 hits are six away from matching Mauro Gomez's 2011 record, while his 31 doubles are four away from Freeman's record of 35 set in 2010.
For the rest of the International League's 2012 Postseason awards, visit ilbaseball.com.
Mejia and the rest of the Gwinnett Braves continue the final homestand of the 2012 season on Tuesday, August 28 against the Pawtucket Red Sox. The game time, originally scheduled for 7:05 PM, has been moved to 2:05 PM as a result of rain expected from Hurricane Isaac. The radio broadcast will air on WDUN 550 AM / 102.9 FM in Gainesville, Georgia, while the television broadcast will air on CSS.
Please note that game times for all remaining Gwinnett Braves home games, including Fan Appreciation Night on Thursday, August 30, may change due to Hurricane Isaac. Check in at gwinnettbraves.com for updated information on game times. For tickets, call the Coolray Field Box Office at (678) 277-0340.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 28, 2012
- Irwin, Indians Shutout Mud Hens 5-0 - Indianapolis Indians
- Knights and Chiefs Postponed on Tuesday - Charlotte Knights
- Chiefs, Knights Rained out on Tuesday Night - Syracuse Mets
- Tides, Bulls Rained out Tuesday - Norfolk Tides
- Bisons Announce Team Awards - Buffalo Bisons
- Gwinnett, Pawtucket Postponed by Rain - Gwinnett Stripers
- Rochester Red Wings Game Notes - Tuesday, August 28 at Buffalo (Mets) - Rochester Red Wings
- 2012 Indianapolis Indians Playoff Information - Indianapolis Indians
- Brown, Rivero Named to IL Post-Season All-Star Team - Syracuse Mets
- Tyler Cloyd Named IL's Most Valuable Pitcher - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Ernesto Mejia Named International League Rookie of the Year - Gwinnett Stripers
- Bisons Notes - Rochester at Buffalo (6:05 P.M.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Miley Named IL Manager of the Year - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees
- International League 2012 Award Winners & All-Stars Announced - IL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gwinnett Stripers Stories
- Gwinnett Stripers Congratulate Former Manager Brian Snitker, Former Outfielder Ronald Acuna Jr. on 2018 National League Awards
- Stripers Issue Statement on the Passing of Gwinnett Coach Jose Mota
- Atlanta Braves and Minor League Affiliates to Collect Food and Supply Donations for Hurricane Michael Relief Efforts
- Gwinnett Stripers Announce 2019 Home Game Times
- Gwinnett Stripers to Join Minor League Baseball's "Copa De La Diversion" Initiative in 2019