Eric Veilleux Takes Position with AHL's Syracuse Crunch
Halifax, N.S. - Halifax Mooseheads Head Coach Eric Veilleux has accepted an offer from the Syracuse Crunch to join the American Hockey League team as an Assistant Coach. Veilleux leaves the Halifax Mooseheads after one season on the job and leading the team to a 49 win, 102 point season that saw the club reach the Memorial Cup Final as well as the QMJHL's President Cup Final series.
"I would like to personally thank Eric for his excellent work over the past twelve months. It is never an easy task to coach a team that is hosting the Memorial Cup. Eric was the right coach at the right time. He guided the Mooseheads to a 100-point season, victories over three excellent teams in the playoffs and a Memorial Cup that almost ended in our second championship. Our players benefitted from his passion and talent," said Mooseheads Owner Bobby Smith.
"The entire Mooseheads organization would like to wish Eric success in his coaching future."
For Veilleux this will be his third American Hockey League job after stints in Norfolk and San Antonio.
"I am excited to return to pro hockey with the Syracuse Crunch. Halifax will forever hold a special place in my heart," he said.
"I leave my position with a heavy heart as I had the luxury of coaching in front of the best fans in the "Q."
Veilleux joins a staff led by Head Coach Benoit Groulx and Assistant Gilles Bouchard to form a trio of highly successful coaches with QMJHL resumes for the Tampa Bay Lightning affiliate. Groulx spent 14 seasons behind the bench with Hull/Gatineau and Shawinigan, Bouchard was the GM and Head Coach for Rouyn-Noranda for five seasons and Veilleux spent nine seasons in the QMJHL between Shawinigan, Baie-Comeau and Halifax.
"I am pleased for Eric and proud of him for advancing his career. The QMJHL isn't just a great league for developing players but for coaches as well. I'd like to thank Eric for a great job with our team this past season and wish him the best of luck," stated General Manager Cam Russell.
The search for a new Head Coach will begin immediately.
• Discuss this story on the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League message board...
Quebec Major Junior Hockey League Stories from June 26, 2019
- 9 QMJHL players invited to Canada's Men's Summer U18 Team selection camp - QMJHL
- 2019 CHL Import Draft set for Thursday June 27 - QMJHL
- Sea Dogs Lead CHL in Hockey Canada Participation - Saint John Sea Dogs
- Eric Veilleux Takes Position with AHL's Syracuse Crunch - Halifax Mooseheads
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Halifax Mooseheads Stories
- Halifax Mooseheads Hire J.J. Daigneault as Head Coach
- Eric Veilleux Takes Position with AHL's Syracuse Crunch
- McIsaac out 5-6 Months Following Shoulder Surgery
- Memorial Cup Semi-Final Now Sold Out
- Halifax Mooseheads and NHL Alumni to Take Part in 2019 Memorial Cup Activities