Energy FC Falls to New Mexico United 2-1
Jaime Chavez took his preseason goal-scoring tally to six with an assist from Zach Ellis-Hayden, but New Mexico United took the 2-1 win Sunday afternoon at Kino Sports Complex in Tucson, Ariz.
In the opening 45 minutes, Energy FC looked as good as they have all preseason, with the Greens confident in possession, switching the point of attack constantly and always looking a threat down the wings.
NMU opened the scoring in the 35th minute, however. A cross into the box looked to have been handled before being poked into the back of the net, but the officials allowed the goal to stand.
Just five minutes later, the Greens responded. Ellis-Hayden, as he did throughout the match, flew down the right wing, and whipped in an inch-perfect cross that Chavez was able to calmly volley into the side netting.
The second 45 wasn't nearly as eventful as the first, although goalkeeper C.J. Cochran was called into action on a couple of occasions.
Cochran kept the scores level with a spectacular diving effort to parry a shot from the top of the box that look destined for the top corner in the 63rd minute.
NMU found the go-ahead goal in 73rd minute with a slotted effort from a tight angle.
The Greens nearly found an equalizer late in the match, as Arun Basuljevic, on two occasions, beat defenders and unleashed left-footed drives that forced excellent saves out of the New Mexico keeper.
The Greens remain in Tucson and will take on El Paso Locomotive Wednesday, February 26 at 11 a.m. MT.
Energy FC begins the 2020 USL Championship season at Taft Stadium March 7 at 7 p.m. against Colorado Springs Switchbacks FC. Season seats for the 2020 season are on sale now. Visit https://www.energyfc.com/tickets or call 235-KICK for more information.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from February 26, 2020
- Energy FC Falls to New Mexico United 2-1 - OKC Energy FC
- Greens Fall to El Paso, 3-0, in 120-Minute Preseason Friendly - OKC Energy FC
- Atlanta United 2 Signs Abdoulaye Diop - Atlanta United 2
- Hounds Tie Loudoun, 1-1 - Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
- Rasmussen Looks to Build on 2019 Success - Louisville City FC
- Darian McCauley Signs First Professional Contract with Charleston - Charleston Battery
- Lights FC Announce Midnight Soccer Match - Las Vegas Lights FC
- North Carolina FC Great Austin da Luz to Serve as Color Commentator for NCFC Broadcasts in 2020 - North Carolina FC
- Rowdies Sign Four Local Prospects to USL Academy Contracts - Tampa Bay Rowdies
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent OKC Energy FC Stories
- Another Round: COOP Ale Works Will Remain Official Craft Beer Partner of Energy FC
- Energy FC Bolsters Backline with Conor Donovan
- Greens Grab Winger Groutchov Pierre
- Midfielder Seth Moses Becomes Newest Charge for Energy FC
- Greens Make First New Signing for 2021 with Defender Mitch Osmond