Eight Players Set to Return for the 2019 Stingers Season
Willmar, Minn. - The Willmar Stingers are excited to announce that Tyler Reichenborn (Saint Louis University), Jayson Newman (California State University - Northridge), Cal Elvers (Miami University), Bryant Claunch (University of North Alabama), Matt Ornelas (Nova Southeastern University), Luke Chevalier (Northern State University), Trevor Divinski (Minnesota State University-Mankato), and Jake Marsh (Bethel University) are the first group of returning players to commit for next summer. The 2019 season will mark the Stingers organization's tenth season of play in the Northwoods League.
Reichenborn, a junior outfielder from Blaine, MN, is back for his third season to roam the outfield at Bill Taunton Stadium. Reichenborn was in the lineup nearly every day this past summer, playing in 60 of the 72 games. Reichenborn's .327 batting average was second on the team last summer and his 70 hits led the team.
Newman, a senior pitcher, will once again pose a threat both on the mound and as a designated hitter for the Stingers in 2019. Leading the team in saves (10), Newman struck out 53 batters in his 31.1 innings pitched. Newman also led the team in home runs (8) and was second in runs batted in (31).
Elvers, a junior catcher, proved himself to be an asset behind the plate for Field Manager Bo Henning. In the 24 games, Elvers posted a .271 batting average with five doubles and 15 walks. One of Elvers' best games as a Stinger came in a 12-5 win on the road against Eau Claire where he went 2-4 with a double, home run and had three RBI.
Claunch, a junior pitcher came out of the bullpen for the Stingers. In 16 appearances, Claunch was 3-1 with a 2.07 ERA and proved to be a late-inning stopper with 16 strikeouts in 26 innings pitched.
Ornelas, a sophomore pitcher was a dynamic addition to the roster during last summer for the Stingers. He made six starts posted a perfect 4-0 record. Ornelas nearly averaged a strikeout per inning pitched as well, fanning 28 batters in 33.1 innings on the mound.
Chevalier, a senior pitcher makes his return to the Stingers after playing for the team in 2017. Chevalier was 2-1 with a 3.90 ERA in 50.2 innings pitched and had 33 strikeouts. During this past summer in the Cape Cod League for the Cotuit Kettleers, he had a 3-0 record with 25 strikeouts in 31.1 innings.
Divinski, a sophomore pitcher was fifth on the team in innings pitched (45.1) over nine total appearances. Divinski had a 2-1 record and posted a 2.77 ERA with 30 strikeouts with only 10 walks.
Marsh, a junior pitcher, was yet another strikeout machine for the Stingers bullpen in 2018. In just 19.2 innings on the mound, Marsh struck out 16 batters while only walking two. On June 3rd, in a game against Waterloo, Marsh struck out four of the seven batters he faced to help the Stingers gain a win on the road.
"We are excited to have each of these guys back as part of our team next season," Stingers co-owner Ryan Voz said. "Having a solid group of returning players will provide great leadership for the rest of our roster."
If you would like more information on tickets for the 2019 season, or more information regarding this press release, please contact the Willmar Stingers front office at 320-222-2010 or visit www.willmarstingers.com.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from November 16, 2018
- Honkers/Northwoods League Announce 2019 Schedule - Rochester Honkers
- Eight Players Set to Return for the 2019 Stingers Season - Willmar Stingers
- Booyah Announces 2019 Northwoods League Schedule - Green Bay Booyah
- Rafters Announce 2019 Northwoods League Schedule - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Traverse City Baseball Announces Schedule - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Rox Announce Schedule for 2019 Season - St. Cloud Rox
- Northwoods League Announces Schedule for 2019 Season - Duluth Huskies
- Bucks Announce 2019 Schedule; Will Host All-Star Game on July 16 - Waterloo Bucks
- Wisconsin Woodchucks Release 2019 Season Schedule - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Northwoods League Announces 2019 Schedule - Eau Claire Express
- Northwoods League Announces Schedule for 2019 Season - Northwoods
- Mallards Announce 2019 Game Schedule - Madison Mallards
- Dock Spiders Announce 2019 Schedule - Fond du Lac Dock Spiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.